clarification of 'edc' vs 'egr', on a 98 manual 300tdi

ronnie_rotten

ok. bit feeling a bit nooby here, but i'm not proud, so i'll just come out and ask!

as i understand it:

edc fuel pumps are 'fly by wire', fitted to autos post '95 and some '97 and later manuals.

there will be a mass flow meter on such a setup and it has some sort of ecu/chip metering and dispensing fuel to the pump.

they're generally considered less desireable than a fully mechanical (egr)setup, though they deliver more power (to compensate for auto box?)

a non edc setup will have an egr valve that you can throw in the ditch, cos they're rubbish.

unplugging and forgetting your egr will provide the same benefits as removing the valve and swapping the intercooler pipe.

a non edc pump may still have a throttle position sensor.

am i getting somewhere near the truth here? i ask cos i've a 98 manual, with egr, no mass flow meter and what i assume is a throttle position sensor. i had a wee tweaky-woo of the pump earlier, which has given a bit more power and it got me asking myself questions...!

I have no clue what you are asking......Exhaust Gas Recirculation is what EGR stands for. I don't get the EDC, do you mean Electronic Diesel Control? A TDI300 uses a mechanical pump, and all you did was making it richer and now it feels better, I would not get carried away diesel engines destroy them selfs way easier than petrol engines.

IIRC the EGR systems have a TPS because the system needs to know when the throttle is open/closed/part throttle. Yours sounds like a non EDC vehicle with EGR, as you suggest.

As above though, melting pistons etc is apparently quite easy! Turning up the wick causes much higher exhaust gas temps. Best invest in an EGT sensor and gauge and watch it for a while before you start fiddling, then watch it after and see what the difference is.

I have no clue what you are asking......Exhaust Gas Recirculation is what EGR stands for. I don't get the EDC, do you mean Electronic Diesel Control? A TDI300 uses a mechanical pump, and all you did was making it richer and now it feels better, I would not get carried away diesel engines destroy them selfs way easier than petrol engines.

Yes, electronic diesel controlled is what I was on about. Several disconnected points I wanted clarifying, which you have, so ta.

I was very modest in my tweakery. Decided to leave thimgs as close to standard as possible, but still improve the motor. No black smoke for me! I expect a more significant improvement when I decat and remove the middle box.

Yes, electronic diesel controlled is what I was on about. Several disconnected points I wanted clarifying, which you have, so ta.

I was very modest in my tweakery. Decided to leave thimgs as close to standard as possible, but still improve the motor. No black smoke for me! I expect a more significant improvement when I decat and remove the middle box.

Your just restoring the performance to something similar to as it was when your disco left the factory, by removing no doubt a non-maintained choked up part of the exhaust system. Your engine is not a performance engine and was never designed to be one :)

On my 300TDI (1996 manual), the throttle position sensor merely serves as part of the EGR system. If you "ditched" the EGR valve assembly, (and blanked off the manifold), you no longer need the throttle position sensor - it could in fact go into the same ditch.

The Bosch pump is indeed mechanical - and the throttle position sensor plays no part in its operation.

On my 300TDI (1996 manual), the throttle position sensor merely serves as part of the EGR system. If you "ditched" the EGR valve assembly, (and blanked off the manifold), you no longer need the throttle position sensor - it could in fact go into the same ditch.

The Bosch pump is indeed mechanical - and the throttle position sensor plays no part in its operation.

good. i don't feel comfortable having wirey bits hanging around under my bonnet. well, not too many wirey bits. i'm sure some of them are reasonably important...