Power and earth to a tracking unit

Markoteal

Hi - got a great tracking unit off amazon - cost me £30 - it's great and has had fab reviews

Need to get some power and link it to an earth - looking to place it behind the passenger seat and realised I could potentially plumb into the wires that go into the redundant egr control box that is sat under the passenger seat - I had the egr blanked off some months ago but just left the control box and wires as they were.

My questions are

A) which coloured wires going into the control box are the power and earth? I have tried to study the wiring diagrams I found on here but I'm not sure where the egr control box appears!!!

B) as the unit has a fuse in the power wire to it (1amp)I presuming I'm ok to plum into the power at this point as i imagine the control unit had a low power usage like the tracking unit which needs the power to keep the rechargeable battery topped up

Cheers guys - first electrical projects on be landy so lots of questions

Ta

Fair point - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003XDN58K/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tested it away from vehicle using the internal battery on it has which lasts 3 - 4 hours and works a treat - even with aerials just attached but laid on floor

Now I just need to wire it in - hence the question as I know nothing about electrics!

That tracking unit has a lot of features, hence the quite large wiring loom. It depends on how many of the features you plan on using as to how much you need to wire up, in it's simplest form you only need to wire the power up to it, fairly certain there are a couple of diagrams in the manual.

Or is your question about what colour are the wires in the Defender that you need to connect to?

Markoteal, you need to find a location thats dry and out of the way. Putting it behind a seat is going to get it found pretty quick I think.

The easiest way to wire it's basic function is to mount it and run a pair of wires back to the battery and fuse the feed at the battery end.

That way you avoid any misconnection or failure in the existing loom.

Anyway, I've just ordered one.

There were 15 of these available at the start of this thread I've just ordered the last. I wonder how many of the others have gone to forum members?

Yeah I wondered that. Good way to sell stuff.

That unit seems just too good for £30 but who knows, cheap enough to chuck if turns out rubbish though, I just couldn't resist.

So go on, who else on here got one?

Thanks to Markoteal, if you were closer I'd wire yours in for you for that link.