Building a Workshop

Retroanaconda

Cheers Chris

Yes the OSB overhangs slightly. My plan is to mark a straight line with string and run a saw along it to take the edge off. I wanted to be sure on what my guttering arrangement was going to be before I made the cut, and figured it would be easier to get a straight line doing the cut on the building than on the ground and then trying to line the sheets up while maintaining expansion gaps etc.

I have sort of planned a lean-to yeah. But that's sort of slipped by the wayside a little bit. I will concentrate on the main building and find another place to put said lean-to.

outwards, so when youre in a rush to get to the house after cutting your fingers off you can barge it open easier!

Also, outwards opening doors are harder to kick in from a security point of view. But the getting out in a rush when you hammer/saw/pierce yourself inevitably, would be a definite consideration of mine because I am that accident prone.

On the conservatory and greenhouse I nail some bits of wood together in a tee shape and drag the snow off the roof, my father in law does a lot of insurance work on doors, windows, conservatories and greenhouses and gets a lot of winter work due to snow on the roof so I'm paranoid ;)

My conservatory roof sags a lot under snow, I'm thinking about a 50x25 steel frame on the inside painted white to blend in. Threefold, somewhere to hang lights off, now the room is getting more use, to strengthen the roof against the snow and to allow me to stand on it to sweep the stove chimney, and mostly 'cos its cheaper than having a new conservatory which would probably be better designed!

Have you seen the roofing systems you can get for conservatories? They take your roof off, put a folded steel frame on, put a lot of insulation on, plastic tiles on the outside and plasterboard the inside. I think it would make them more usable.

Slightly off topic ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I may have missed it - but what roofing sheets are you using on top of the OSB? Or is that water resistant enough to be a top layer?

I've just bought and 90% dismantled a concrete garage, where the roof will be replaced - I was looking at the bitumen corrugated sheets that wickes sell.

Yes I'll be using the bitumen sheets, though getting then online as they're a lot dearer in Wickes!

I've had success with them in the past, though if the roof pitch is anything less than 20 degrees I'd put an OSB deck down. Mine is exactly that and I've still gone for a deck as it also makes working on the roof easier as I can just walk about up there rather than having to clamber about on the rafters/purlins. Where I used them before the roof was flat with a pitch of more like 5 degrees if that and the person who put the sheets on just put them straight on the joists at huge spacings. Suffice to say there were a lot of problems with sagging and in the end I had to pull it all off and deck it which solved the issues. As long as they're supported they're great, really easy to handle and work with, and look quite good too :)

Yesterday I got a few fiddly things done like arranging the bottom of the wall sheeting so that it goes into the ground around the slab which will stop water running down and in should it get through the cladding. And speaking of which I'm hopefully going to order the wall cladding this week so hopefully soon there should be some progress worthy of mention.

Small amount of progress this week

post-10578-0-66451400-1384703592_thumb.jpg

Got the first truss re-done with ties like the rest so that it doesn't apply any load to the lintel above the doorway. I got as far as putting one extra support on the right hand side in line with the door pillar but then of course it started raining so that was that for this weekend. Did do a service on the car on Saturday though as that was 1,000 miles overdue so not an unproductive few days ^_^

Got to chase the timber merchant this week for my cladding, as I'd really like to get that on soon. And start thinking about making the front doors and how I'm going to frame/hang them.

So some agreeable weather and the weekend have finally coincided, plus I got the cladding delivered this week so today I was able to make a start on that. Got the front wall done, figured I'd start here as it's probably the most fiddly so it should get more simple as I go!

post-10578-0-93400300-1385231696_thumb.jpg

With any luck tomorrow should see some more going on :)

I don't mind creosote itself, it's just the labour-intensive process of painting it on there that I don't like the idea of!

Yeah I abandoned the window idea for now. It's time and money really. Even with the wall complete all it would take to facilitate the addition of one in the future is a bit more internal framing and a jigsaw through the wall so it's always an option :)

I love those light bottles, very cool idea. Though I will probably just go with T8 strip lights to be honest ;)

That looks great, very envious of your workshop :i-m_so_happy:

I agree with Ross, we use an old backback weedkiller sprayer for applying creosote to barns and fences and it's very effective.

It also means you don't have to strim the grass away under the fences ;)

Main thing with spraying creosote is to use a sprayer that doesn't turn it into a mist. You don't want it your lungs and over everything else, so wear BA, cover up and hope for a calm day.

High volume, low pressure is what you need. You'll find creosote eats most plastic plant sprayers, so perhaps buy a cheap one to bin when you are done.

Just a few thoughts James -

Can you still get proper creosote where you are? I know the nanny state keeps trying to ban it, although I'm pretty sure farming places still sell it.

You creosote saturated shed will stink for quite a while, and you will probably come in from the workshop whiffing of the darned stuff.

Never mind, the combined aromas of creosote and EP90 ought to stop any young ladies venturing close enough to interfere with Landrover project progress, :lol:

Proper stuff needs some kind of proof you're a small holding etc before you can buy it down here. Might be different in the dark north :P

Our local DIY sells it, here in Gloucestershire.

Well, it's called Creosote, and smells like it. Are there different types?

G.

I have some Wickes creosote type stuff, so it's probably the watered-down version. There are a few agri-supply places around here so I'll give them a go and see if I can't source some proper coal-tar creosote.

Never mind, the combined aromas of creosote and EP90 ought to stop any young ladies venturing close enough to interfere with Landrover project progress, :lol:

Well never say never! :P