Building a Workshop

Retroanaconda

Thanks all.

It was solid, very solid. It was screwed down in about 8 places which I did while framing it as a temporary measure to help keep things in line with the intention of bolting it down properly later as discussed earlier in this thread. In the mean time we had some pretty heavy winds and it didn't budge at all, and with the weight of the structure I didn't make the final bolting down a priority - that was a mistake.

When I woke up on the morning of the storm it was pretty wild but the shed stood. Within the next half hour there were four trees across the farm access road (so no internet still), two down into fields up near the house and the shed had gone. As above the fact that it had no doors was its downfall, the wind hit 100mph here according to the radar nearby and that was too much for the fixings into the slab. Gutting to think that a few sheets of ply across the doorway would probably have saved it! :(

I've collected most of the debris today, save for the back wall which is still laying in the field as it's too heavy to move in one piece. So this is what I'm left with:

post-10578-0-43980500-1386431553_thumb.jpg post-10578-0-74405300-1386431605_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what the plan will be now, beyond getting that last wall brought back in. I will rebuild it, I've invested far too much time and money in this to let it go, but it certainly won't be this year. For a start I can't afford to replace all the damaged materials between now and then but also I just can't face the task of not just building it again but trying to piece together what's salvageable and replace what is not. It'll have to wait for the new year when I've had a break from it and work (which of course is also manic as we've lost some pretty big areas of forest).

Still, you live and learn. No one was hurt (though it did bring down a stone wall when it landed!) and the car wasn't parked in it thankfully. What the wind can destroy I can rebuild - eventually :)

• 2 months later...

Today saw the first weekend day since before Christmas where it hasn't either chucked it down with rain or blown a gale all day! As a result I managed to actually get a bit of work done.

I have dismantled all the remaining pieces of wall and now have piles of wall studs, top/bottom plates, and a big pile of cladding.

post-10578-0-24025000-1392563163_thumb.jpg post-10578-0-64177000-1392563179_thumb.jpg

I have also moved all this as well as the remains of the roof framing etc. out of the way to clear the area ready for starting the re-build. Back to square one, quite literally!

post-10578-0-92442800-1392563151_thumb.jpg

If the weather is good next weekend I'll start doing the wall framing again. I'd like to take a week off and really crack on but with the weather like it is chances are I'd end up sitting inside for a week watching it rain!

• 2 months later...

Right here we go, time to post something positive for a change! Weather here in bonny Scotland is currently rather favourable and being a four-day weekend this is the opportunity I've been waiting for to get on and start re-building the shed.

Luckily all of the wall framing save one or two snapped pieces was re-usable so that saved me a lot of time in that everything was already cut to length (though I have done an awful lot of nail pulling today!) so progress has been reasonably fast. I started this morning with one small section done, which I did in a random fit of productivity a month or so ago, and at close of play today we have this:

post-10578-0-63633100-1397844106_thumb.jpg post-10578-0-16808400-1397844101_thumb.jpg

I have taken this opportunity to make a few small adaptations to the design, namely a damp-proof course at the bottom where the timber rests on the concrete and more importantly version 2.0 of the shed will feature windows on the south-facing side and a personnel door too. Bit more fiddly when it comes to cladding it up but it will have two useful benefits:

• Natural light in the building.
  • Slightly less cladding will be required which will help what's left go a bit further.

Hopefully the weather will hold out all weekend and give me a good run at it :)

Another glorious sunny day for shed (re)building:

post-10578-0-22696800-1397937431_thumb.jpg

So end of play today and there's just the one more truss to rebuild and fit. Taken longer than envisaged to get these sorted as three needed repairs (i.e. bits replacing like the last one on the ground there). The other three were intact though and after a check over and more nail pulling I got them up OK. I also had to go to town to get some more timber, a 45 mile round trip, so I lost a couple of hours in the morning that way.

Interestingly the building seems to be about 1/2" narrower this time around - but it's well within tolerances I think!

So turns out I don't have enough purlins left, or rather that the ones that are left are smashed up somewhat. No bother, more can be bought, but in the mean time I got on with adding the roof sheets and also attaching the polythene sheeting to two of the walls:

post-10578-0-04442300-1398101104_thumb.jpg post-10578-0-92445900-1398101108_thumb.jpg

And a shot from 'inside' admiring the view:

post-10578-0-39850100-1398101112_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and this sunny bank holiday weekend is no exception - but a fair amount of progress has been made which I am quite happy with.

That is a great bit of progress

Had a look at your frame, and just a suggestion ...... you may want to brace the corners the other way too ..... (sorry everyones a critic ..... but if you bare with me a moment)

If you had a wind force from a direction .... say up that great valley, where is the force going to be felt... the corners I would say, given there is a big hole on one end, hence the corners will try to lift (over turn) , whereas if you brace them the other way then you've triangulated the corners. I'd also suggest bracing across (diagonally / horizontal plane) bottom truss brace level of roof, which then would transfer the force to the far corner, and may improve the stability.

Then again, I have no idea what cladding you are applying, but that would also improve stability depending upon how it's fixed too....

......sorry, but it looks like a great structure....

nailgun & saw table / hammer + hand saw?

Do I wait for the criticism or what?

That's a magnificent view, well worth putting the windows in.

Are you going to be fitting your work bench to the window side, lots of light and views!

Steve

I had planned for it to go the other side Steve but you might be right! Will play with positioning things once the structure is complete and see what I can come up with.

That is a great bit of progress

Had a look at your frame, and just a suggestion ...... you may want to brace the corners the other way too ..... (sorry everyones a critic ..... but if you bare with me a moment)

If you had a wind force from a direction .... say up that great valley, where is the force going to be felt... the corners I would say, given there is a big hole on one end, hence the corners will try to lift (over turn) , whereas if you brace them the other way then you've triangulated the corners. I'd also suggest bracing across (diagonally / horizontal plane) bottom truss brace level of roof, which then would transfer the force to the far corner, and may improve the stability.

Then again, I have no idea what cladding you are applying, but that would also improve stability depending upon how it's fixed too....

......sorry, but it looks like a great structure....

nailgun & saw table / hammer + hand saw?

Do I wait for the criticism or what?

Robert, constructive criticism is always welcome! I have plans to brace the roof diagonally in some manner in order to stop the building shimmying like a jelly on a plate, thought the OSB sheets do prevent a lot of this by tying the purlins together. I was also going to add a bit of bracing across the tops of the corners of the building, between the two walls at each corner, to the same sort of end.

The big hole in one end was it's downfall last time, which is why I've left the apex of the far wall uncovered and will do so until after the doors are in place! The cladding is tongue and groove type, you can see it on the first go a bit further back in this thread. It added a surprising amount of rigidity to the structure actually, far more than I was expecting.

It's hammer and hand saw I'm afraid! Do have a chop saw now, though I only bought that once I started on the roof the first time around - made things a lot easier. But some things have to be done by hand.

I once did a huge shed (not that big though) in T&G with an OSB roof and yep I can agree it was rigid. I must admit I would have been devastated with what happened, but hats off to you on all grounds for the rebuild + by hand too.

I can be the over-engineering type.... shelves + a workbenches that take my weight + are fully loaded at present.

glad you managed to save it for the most part. the views look stunning and at least now like you say you have chance to make whatever hindsight changes that you wished you had put in the origional shed.

cant wait to see it progress!

Took this week off work with a view to sorting the car for MOT, well it passed on Monday just needing new rear exhaust section so that frees up the rest of the week for shed building work.

Picked up some more bits and bobs this morning from town and now the roof framing is all but complete:

post-10578-0-49105600-1398795615_thumb.jpg

I also tested the bolts I'm going to use to hold down the shed to the slab. Used a piece of wood about 4' long and put a bolt in one end down into the concrete. Then lifted the other end until something failed - I'm pleased to say the timber failed first. Okay clearly this isn't scientific as it's not the sort of load the bolts holding the walls down will see and it's not fair on that piece of wood with the bolt so close to the end but it gave me an idea of how strong the fixings are and gives me more confidence that they will do the job. There will be 13 through the wall foot plates into the slab, 4 on each side wall, 3 on the back wall and one on each side at the front. I may also add some rawlbolts using brackets to pick up on the wall uprights themselves at a few points about the structure if I have any reservations.

post-10578-0-77563200-1398795605_thumb.jpg

I've also added some more strength into the roof edges. On the eaves of the building where the lowest purlin rests on the truss members I have secured them down in place using some of that builders banding, one strap round the purlin and the wall plate at each end of each piece. This also has the effect of holding the trusses down onto the walls, though I don't have any reservations about these joints. The OSB sheets are attached to each purlin with 5 screws (so 25 per sheet) with the screws into the lowest purlin being bigger and fitted with extra washers. This is all to resist any wind force trying to pull the roof off either by detaching the purlins from the trusses or the OSB from the purlins. Hopefully a combination of all these factors, plus the fact that the fascia boarding will not have an excessive overhang, will mean the roof stays well and truly put!