Building a Workshop

Retroanaconda

Right so today I got the rear wall re-clad, fairly easy going as all the cladding survived largely due to the wall departing in one piece so just had to knock all the nails out and slap it back on the building.

post-10578-0-11375600-1400351814_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I need some more battens before I can start the long back wall, so in the mean time I decided to start looking at the windows. I used some off-cuts of the 22x100 sawn timber that the cross ties in the roof trusses were made from to trim the edges of the apertures, which gives a nice look to it.

post-10578-0-73194000-1400351818_thumb.jpg

I am going to have a go at making the windows hinged at the top so they can be opened for a bit of ventilation on the three or four hot days we have a year. Could go awfully wrong of course, in which case I'll just put them in fixed!

Also got a second coat of preservative on the long wall.

post-10578-0-91923100-1400351809_thumb.jpg

Indeed. Given the propensity for rain in this part of the world, windows that can be opened slightly without incurring nasty wetness will be most welcome!

Made up the casements yesterday and test-fitted:

post-10578-0-87378800-1400503570_thumb.jpg

Ordered the glass today, so that should arrive this week hopefully.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit of progress recently. I've got most of the roofing sheets on, just need to finish the cut bits at the top and the ridge pieces and then the building will be watertight at the top at least!

post-10578-0-25805100-1401480338_thumb.jpg

Gratuitous panoramic photo of the view I was enjoying until the midges started their attack - that was the end of play unfortunately.

post-10578-0-29194400-1401480382_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow hopefully I'll get the roof finished. Not sure how I'm going to do the ends of the ridge at the top of each gable wall, I think I'll have to cut the ridge pieces and fold them down over the verge boards. Then maybe a decorative diamond on top to hide the join.

It is rather, I am very lucky :)

Another stunning day today (bit hot to be sitting on a black bitumen roof but never mind!) so I managed to get the roofing finished off nicely:

post-10578-0-86402400-1401564043_thumb.jpg post-10578-0-91212700-1401564047_thumb.jpg

Struggled to get an angle where I could get a shot of the whole roof but the above gives an idea. Looks quite nice in my opinion! The end detail at the gables I will probably hide with a diamond as while they are functional they look a bit rough and ready. Anyway tomorrow looks changeable weather wise so if it is clear I will get the door sorted hopefully and if it is wet then I will put the car in the building and get on with the jobs that need doing on that.

Getting very close to finishing now!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to find a bit of spare time, so door is fitted and the fascia boarding has been painted. I still need to add the security to the door (i.e. the locks) but it opens and closes nicely now. Until it warps/swells come the autumn/winter of course!

post-10578-0-66926700-1403459287_thumb.jpg

So to do list:

• Finish re-cladding the back wall.
  • Second coat of paint on the fascias.
  • Fit guttering.
  • Door security.
  • Glaze and fit windows.

Once all that is done then the building will be complete. Only taken about a year!

Big move planned for mid-July - so need to have it functionally ready by then - even if not fully finished.

• Like 1

Looks really good! Do you have any plans for security? I bought one of these (ebay 121260064513) about a month ago and to be honest its better than expected. I wanted the cheapest gsm alarm I could get and it is cheap, awful Chinese translated instructions and cheap mouldings but it works! I left the out side bell off so it wouldn't annoy the neighbours but no false alarms. I don't usually like wireless stuff but I have a set of the sensors in the garden shed about 20 metres away and that works too. Just thought I would mention it:)

Cheers fellas.

I have had a few thoughts about security yes Al, was planning on having something in place as since it's a wooden building anyone can just take a chainsaw to the walls to get in (albeit noisily) - it would be more for when I'm away from home and the like so a siren would be needed to alert the neighbours (luckily I only have the one house nearby)! I quite look of that system if it works as you suggest. I do benefit from good strong GSM coverage at my place so that is an option.

Fire alarm is also a useful feature!

• 4 weeks later...

Bit overdue an update, it's been difficult to find time to get work done on the building and I've been away with work a bit which hasn't helped. But I got the windows glazed up and then painted the casements etc. and finally got them hung the other day. Today I fitted the closing battens around the apertures in preparation for putting the seals in and then fitting latches. Had some rain this afternoon and they seem fairly water resistant as it is so hopefully they will do the job - time will tell.

post-10578-0-22602100-1406395605_thumb.jpg

I also decided to see if I could build a workbench out of the left over timber that was laying about the place - this is the result:

post-10578-0-24034500-1406395608_thumb.jpg

Just under 6' long and 2' deep so not massive but I am limited on size by the building and it will do for beating bits of seized Land Rover on. Seems very sturdy actually, just needs the two legs bolting to the concrete at some point to resist any upward twisting loads once the vice goes on.

Still need to do the guttering and the back wall cladding, both of these take money which is being prioritised for the moving of stuff up from Sussex at the moment - but we will get there soon enough I hope :)

if you can afford the privelage, a steel top to your workbench(even if just a 2-3mm sheet over your wood top) will make fabrication work so much quicker. just using the table as the earth is one of those "dont know how i coped before" type things.

if you can afford the privelage, a steel top to your workbench(even if just a 2-3mm sheet over your wood top) will make fabrication work so much quicker. just using the table as the earth is one of those "dont know how i coped before" type things.

And if you can make it just a bit thicker and flat it makes measuring and marking so quick.

A few magnetic angles and fabrication becomes a joy.

This is a awesome build mate, love your work and the most I love is your location, that is one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. Well done mate.

Thanks Rangy. Yes the view is quite lovely, however the exposure does mean I get the full brunt of the weather - as I found out last winter to my cost!

And if you can make it just a bit thicker and flat it makes measuring and marking so quick.

A few magnetic angles and fabrication becomes a joy.

Thanks chaps, yes that is on the cards at some point as part of the general fitting out of the building - as is other stuff like insulation in the walls, boarding the inside out etc. etc.

Thanks Rangy. Yes the view is quite lovely, however the exposure does mean I get the full brunt of the weather - as I found out last winter to my cost!

Thanks chaps, yes that is on the cards at some point as part of the general fitting out of the building - as is other stuff like insulation in the walls, boarding the inside out etc. etc.

cover the top in a light (ish) coat of engineers blue too, means it keeps surface rust away and you can still gfet a good earth through it, and the spatter doesent stick! not exactly expensive either

cover the top in a light (ish) coat of engineers blue too, means it keeps surface rust away and you can still gfet a good earth through it, and the spatter doesent stick! not exactly expensive either

I bought a can of blue from our local engineering supplies, the ^%$^$#^%&^ stuff cost more than a 2K respray on a JCB!

But yes if you buy it from somewhere sensible its cheap.

(Digress alert) I've been looking for a cheap bed protector for the milling machine as the spray on stuff is expensive.

If you cover it in engineers blue, you'll turn into a Smurf the next time you get within 2 foot of the bench :lol:

The darned stuff gets on everything - it used to be a favourite tool for many a prank in the tool room :rolleyes:

As for rust prevention on items left outside or in long term storage, we used to use a product called Ensis fluid. It was bluddy good stuff, which probably means it's been banned by the eco warriors by now ...

Oh, back on topic - workshop is looking mighty fine James, and a good deal tidier than mine.