Getting a Land Rover in the garage

smallfry

I need to get one of my Land Rovers in a garage. Only problem is that its too high.

Putting in a bigger door is NOT an option. I need about five inches oo er

I thought of letting the tyres down, but as its not actually at home its not very practical, and I would NOT want to leave it like that for a period of time, and as there is no electricity, a compressor is out too.

Only thing I can think of is to get some old rims.........15 inch ones and the lowest profile bald car tyres I can get. But it will be such a fag every time I want to get it out. Makes me tired even thinking about it.

I am not even sure if that would be enough in any case, and the suspension lift is NOT helping.

Anyone else got any ideas ?

Hi,

Is it going in to the garage to be worked on, storage, keep it warm? Does it need to go into the garage once a week, twice a week, once every couple of months?

The rim/wheel idea is good but it involves swapping them over every time. Letting the tyre pressures down worked for me and you should have enough height once in the garage to pump them up again, but you say you haven't got power.

You could remove the springs and shocks and let it sit on the bump stops, but that may not be practical for what you want!

Could you get away with just swapping the two rears? It would be a bit quicker?

Lower the roof like Daan on here did.

Steve

roof chop? I removed 60 mm from the roof, and changed from a ribbed roof to a flat roof, loosing a further 20 mm. This would give you a 3" drop. Loose the lift and youre there. I have also dropped the body 40 mm lower onto the chassis, giving a total drop of 120 mm, but this is quite involved, and only makes sense if you rebuild it from the ground up.

SDC10300.jpg

Guess which is mine?

I have used the rim solution in the past, 2 rims on the back is enough to get it in usually. But now mine fits with 35" tyres and 1" lift.

Daan

• Like 1

I've tried the ratchet straps, if you can get more than a couple of inches on all four springs I'd be surprised. Very awkward to do too.

I've just used bare rims to drive in/out. If you do that though, don't put the trolley jack under the hockey struck though, you won't get it out!

I built a house a while back with a downstairs garage. I had the door made extra high to take my Series III. A few months later, I bought a 110 and it wouldn't fit! Grrr!

I've known two solutions for your problem. One friend with a raised 90 has modified the frame around his garage door and put in a different type of door. He gained around six inches. A bit of work but a one off which pays dividends in the long term. The other is more radical and that is to lower the floor. Maybe you would only have to do that around the entrance?

Don

Thanks for the input guys. For a start its a rented garage, so altering the door/frame or digging the floor is out

Wouldnt want to change the luverly ribbed roof for a nasty smooth one either. Cant stand on that !

Cant get me head around the concept of a lowered Land Rover either, although its very interesting. Would like to see that, but its a bit radical JUST to get it in the garage.

Down to the bare rims I guess, its a bit uphill though, AND theres a bit of a step up in the entrance. I have visions of it spinning and making a LOT of noise. And sparks !

I suppose I COULD take the roof off, but i would bet that the top of the rear door would still be too high.

Down to the bare rims I guess, its a bit uphill though, AND theres a bit of a step up in the entrance. I have visions of it spinning and making a LOT of noise. And sparks !

Ifor williams trailer wheels fit if you want it really slammed.

Maybe I should have explained a bit better, trailer wheels have a 12" rim which is really small like a mini but with the same stud pattern as a Landy and with a tyre on ends up as small a thing as you can put on without driving on the discs. No sparks or spinning as you correctly guessed driving on rims.

Still got the bother of changing them too. A battery rattle gun might be on the cards or install an AC compressor and tank to run an air one.

Why rent such a small garage if you're into Land Rovers and are probably aware of how reliable they aren't?

Do you have a front winch? Do you have rear recovery eyes? Or better still, a rear winch?

Loop the cable under the axles and hook on to a rear eye. Put blocks of wood under the axles for the cable to run over and winch in. You can pull the axles up to the bump stops - which depending on the vehicle, may be enough.

I've used this approach before.

Si

IMHO another bloody good reason not to fit a suspension lift to your truck......

And that before I get onto the fact that it ruins the handling and very often reduces axle articulation aswell! I never understand why people find the need to fit them.......

Jon

Just don't do what Jules ( my brother ) did and that put the 90 in the garage as standard and fit lift and 35" tyres and then after months of work on the car suddenly realise that you could not now get the truck out of the garage.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the input guys. For a start its a rented garage,

Rent a different garage.

Or flat old tyres on different rims that it doesn't matter if they get damaged

Does it fit once in the garage? Ie is it just the door that is too low or the roof too?

Rent a different garage.

Couldnt do that. This one is only 100 yards from home. Have done in the past and they have been miles away. Its too much hassle.

It will fit once I get it through the door.........once I find a home for me trailer, four gearboxes, two engines, and a couple of axles.

It is only for short term storage at the moment, but it would be nice to keep it in there.

If deflating the tyres was enough what about a 12V compressor (one of the better ones like Warn's) and tyre deflators.

Would be quicker than swapping tyres everytime.

Don't think this will quite gain him the required 5 inches though :unsure: