Getting a Land Rover in the garage

smallfry

Change doors. Up and Over doors loose you a lot of height. Replace with full height side opening barn doors. As it's a rented garage, can you keep the entire up and over door somewhere (in it's frame)? They just bolt in and out. Mine is sat leaning up against a wall in case we sell the house in the future, as SWMBO thinks I have devalued the property and so wants me to be able to replace it if we move!

I have changed the door on 2 houses now for this exact reason. Surprisingly easy, especially if you are ok at a bit of carpentry!

You may even find that the garage owner is happy for you to leave it with barn doors. I can't imagine up and over doors are the most secure in the world.....especially compared to some decent wooden doors.

• 7 years later...

That's brilliant but in your case would it not be quicker to remove the canvas and hood sticks to fit it in? Or is there a taller roll bar in there which still gets in the way?

Having had this problem in the past I got a set of old 16" rims with 205's on and swapped the rear tyres over when I wanted it, but having had a bit of a moment at the end of a long weekend away where I stupidly removed all the wheelnuts on one side before I'd jacked it up and it nearly fell on me, I would recommend a solution that is quick, easy and most of all safe! It also put me off taking it out for shorter trips locally as it was a pain to swap them over. I ended up changing vehicles and the new one just fits as it's a truck cab. Just have to remember to take the CB aerial off first...

Rich

I haven’t actually tried it with just the rears.....It’s so damn close with all 4 it seems unlikely.. If I did just rears and removed the hood and hoops then it’d probably work.

But since everything came as sets of 4 and having the impact gun it is all pretty swift.

There is a roll bar under the hood so it wouldn’t work without the little wheels.

On a plus point it can all be flogged on once I get the garage roof raised!

Edited by yalan

• 11 months later...
On 4/17/2021 at 10:42 PM, yalan said:

I haven’t actually tried it with just the rears.....It’s so damn close with all 4 it seems unlikely.. If I did just rears and removed the hood and hoops then it’d probably work.

But since everything came as sets of 4 and having the impact gun it is all pretty swift.

There is a roll bar under the hood so it wouldn’t work without the little wheels.

On a plus point it can all be flogged on once I get the garage roof raised!

Where did you get the set from. I have the same issue and these seems to be the best solution 

I take the valve out of my back tyres on the Series, it’s very quick and lowers it enough to go from won’t fit to comfortably going in.

With the compressor it’s not too much hassle to blow them back up either. 

Longer term plan is to change the garage door.

On 4/17/2022 at 4:13 PM, Anderzander said:

I take the valve out of my back tyres on the Series, it’s very quick and lowers it enough to go from won’t fit to comfortably going in.

With the compressor it’s not too much hassle to blow them back up either. 

Longer term plan is to change the garage door.

I have the same plan, possibly to a side mounted tramber door as the driveway slopes up from the doorway, making outward hinged or concertina doors impossible, but wanting to avoid the overhead height loss.  But the shorter term plan is to sell that house anyway, and with any luck, I’ll be moving back to the UK and looking to move close to Nottingham/Leicester a bit after Christmas (if I can get the new job), so who knows what I’ll have to do garage-wise.

Incidentally, does anyone know of any pretty and quiet villages or small towns with a good safety record on high ground and less than 20 minutes from a well appointed town in that neck of the woods?

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

I have the same plan, possibly to a side mounted tramber door as the driveway slopes up from the doorway, making outward hinged or concertina doors impossible, but wanting to avoid the overhead height loss.  But the shorter term plan is to sell that house anyway, and with any luck, I’ll be moving back to the UK and looking to move close to Nottingham/Leicester a bit after Christmas (if I can get the new job), so who knows what I’ll have to do garage-wise.

Incidentally, does anyone know of any pretty and quiet villages or small towns with a good safety record on high ground and less than 20 minutes from a well appointed town in that neck of the woods?

Depending on the severity of the slope and how close, shoving the bottom hinge way out from the building can top the door up. Picture the hinges on the back of the old Bedford vans. 

• Like 1

It's a great thread. I've got the exact issue with my double. Currently its six bolts and off with the Series 1s roof and lower windscreen, but long term it's not great. The truck cab takes up a fair chunk of floor space, and generally anyone over 5'11" bangs their heads on the up and over doors.......

I have approx 2050mm to the underside of the rafters, and even less to the lintels over the doors. The entire roof is flat, 19mm ply and felt, with a decorative 1m x 1m tiled ridge around two sides. Unwisely, we had the roof re-tiled, and the roofer tiled the garage also, including the section where the houses roof joins the garage.....

I have had some mad ideas about jacking up the entire roof and placing a new course of blocks underneath, but at the same time wanted to extend the garage backwards to create a four car, but as with anything money is tight. 

Mine has an up-and over door and switching to side hung doors should be enough. 

The up and over has a small gap to the door lintel, then the thickness of the door, then the lock and handle and opening bars that sit below it. 

I’ve forgotten the measurement now - but going to side hung doors gets rid of all that, and that’s enough for me to get in. 

Mind you … I am thinking of taller tyres 😳

I’ve only just joined the dots on that thinking.

Bugger 

20 hours ago, Snagger said:

I live in Melton Mowbray, (since 1986), if that's any good to you. The town is comparatively cheap, the villages generally cost more to buy into. There is something of a building boom around here, with new builds in Melton, Frisby, Waltham, Brooksby, Bottesford etc. Melton is about to start building a ring road, so the building spree will probably extend to the edges of the new roads. 

I can offer a bed for night while you are on reconnaissance. 

• Like 2

Modify the car? I am on 35" tyres and about 2" lift. And lowered the body 40mm lower on the chassis, chopped 60 mm out of the roof and used a flat roof, rather than the ribbed version (saving another 25mm). The sporty reason for the mods is lower C of G and less frontal area (against trees), the practical reason is so it fits in the garage. It measures 2m exact, and my garage door opened is 2050mm.

Painting the garage:

gallery_336_1371_193005.jpg