Gearbox/transfer box breathers

leave a small length of the original nylon (and very stiff) hose on the banjo, slide a length of flexible thin wall 1/4" fuel line hose over the full length of it and clamp it with a small tie strap, run the breather to a high point in the engine bay, mine (and the front axle) are now located in the gutter below the windscreen.

I bought a roll of the nylon tube from a pneumatic supply company, 1/4" outside diameter.

Cut the old pipe off, knock the fitting into the new tube.

I drilled a 1/4" hole in a lump of hard wood, cut through with a saw and used it to clamp the tube in the vice with 1/2" poking through. Start the fitting in the end of the tube and give it a sharp tap with a mallet.

Might take a couple of goes to perfect the technique!

While you're at the pneumatic supply co, for a couple of extra quid you can buy a 90deg swivel elbow connector for the push-fit 6mm nylon hose. 1/8" BSP is the thread size required. Works for axles too. Buy the metal ones not the plastic ones.

While you're at the pneumatic supply co, for a couple of extra quid you can buy a 90deg swivel elbow connector for the push-fit 6mm nylon hose. 1/8" BSP is the thread size required. Works for axles too. Buy the metal ones not the plastic ones.

Depending on the gearbox you might want to check the space available, on the R380 the breather is connected behind part of the linkage for the hi/low/diff-lock lever and it's fairly tight there.