charging light in-line diode

Battery flat :-(

Charging light not lit when engine is off and key is turned to the first position.

Checked bulb - OK.

Checked voltage on both bulb sides - feed present (key is turned to the first position).

Next element (n the way to alternator) is a diode (shown in a schematic, before engine comaprtment connector).

Where this diode is actually located? Is it an odrinary diode (like one on PCB's), or in a strange one (in not easily recognisable package)?

Regards, Ivan

'92 110 200tdi

i have a 1993 lwb defender 200tdi and redone all the wires and the diode ( i had a a pair/Pic 2 and a pair of i think capacitors??/pic one)was behind the main instrument binnacle by the speedo.Here is a picture of it and the spaghetti i was dealing with....oh by the way i am colour blind

post-12769-0-19331900-1380841136_thumb.jpg

post-12769-0-24812900-1380841165_thumb.jpg

post-12769-0-19315400-1380841293_thumb.jpg

What you are looking for is a black cylinder about 2 in long and 1/2 in diameter, with a Lucar connector at each end.

New ones look like this. The original LR ones are just a single cylinder (no flat part) though.

It's hidden in the wiring loom behind and below the instrument binnacle.

Before a search for a diode I made a test at connector that plugs into alternator (that looked easier than wrestling with wires behind the instrument panel). I connected D+ plug with ground and turned ignition key.The charging lamp lit what showed me that problem is not in wiring, but in alternator itself.

Alternator is Marelli A127-45. In archives I've found that voltage regulator has to be pulled out and cleaned from mud in order that brushes move freely. I'll try this method and see if it works.

In case brushes are worn-out which part number do I need to order to replace it? My parts manual shows only Lucas alt. whose regulator looks different than mine?

Cheers, Ivan.

sturdier diodes might not be like the ones you solder on a board but like:

Philips%20Rectifier%20Diode%20BYW30-100.

If you can't find it disconnect the wires and see if you can send voltage (any, 9v small battery will do) in the opposite way. continue down until you have a flow, just above that is the diode :) :) :)

I disassembled regulator from alternator just to discover that brushes are faulty (at least one). Shorter one protrudes only a few mm's out of housing and its sliding surface is not polished - guess it means it does not have satisfactory contact with collector.

The question is: what's the part number for voltage regulator for Marelli A127-45?

• 3 months later...

i have a 1993 lwb defender 200tdi and redone all the wires and the diode ( i had a a pair/Pic 2 and a pair of i think capacitors??/pic one)was behind the main instrument binnacle by the speedo.Here is a picture of it and the spaghetti i was dealing with....oh by the way i am colour blind

The resistor, what are it's values? 100 ohm..... does it say how many Watts?