R380 main component weights.

ajh

Would anyone know what the R380 main case weighs if separated from the rest of the transmission? I need to split up an R380 to fit into two cases weighing not more than 30kg each and need to know if this is feasible.

Thanks.

So you want the weight with or without bell housing? I'm guessing without. Let me know and I'll weigh it for you, I'm guessing it's feasible ..... just.

PS the bellhousing I have here is the long one for a 300 tdi, iirc you have a short bell housing one don't you?

Right, I have the bellhousing off, and can dismantle it to get it into two pieces of luggage I just need to know what the heaviest bit weighs. I've got this, plus a 200TDI head, and exhaust downpipe to fit into my luggage next week.

Full shop here; I just haven't taken one apart before so I'm not sure what the weight distribution is. I'm taking it to Ashcroft as a core in my luggage; if I can't get it to fit I'd rather it stay in one piece, but otherwise I'll only break it down as much as is needed to get it onto the plane, thanks for the help. Once I sort this; I'll have to figure out how I'll get from Turners to Ashcroft to Steve Parker and to Allmakes in as short a time as possible :)

Fair enough, have had to stop for the evening thanks to a minor household plumbing emergency and also need to have another read of the overhaul manual as the box isn't giving up it's secrets as easily as expected.

Will finish splitting it tomorrow evening if that's any good for you? I need to post mortem the box anyhow.

Always nice to have a motivation :), as it turns out the only flight I could get is tomorrow morning so I'm juggling to see if I can fit all the things I need into my luggage allowance at the moment.

Well to my mind the heaviest part will be the cast iron casing to the main box, but that will be less than 30kg. You should be able to just keep stripping the rest down till you split the weight evenly. Obviously I haven't tried this .... yet.

Enjoy the trip :)

I've almost got things split; but never having done this before the arm with the shifter forks is now limiting splitting things and I'm not keen on just applying force. Anyone got some hints or know of a walkthrough on how to get this apart. Otherwise things are on-track for tomorrow morning, I just need to drive about 7h overnight to take care of things before I go! :) So getting this done asap would be nice.

Got it apart; it was actually as simple as it seemed and the melted bearing on the mainshaft was just causing issues and the mainshaft/gear assembly weighs in at 25kg so the plan will work and I can even quickly re-assemble it when I get to the UK so there are no additional surcharges.

Yay. Now just need to get the exhaust into the luggage... (just a downpipe).

Edited by ajh

• 1 month later...

AJH.

PM'd you but you can post the info here if its better for you.

I have exactly the same problem. How to get my core back to the UK in luggage.

I'm also going to try a courier to see how much they want. According to HM Customs,,, as I'm English (and so is the box) Its classed as personal possessions so no duty or tax. That's until I return it to Ashcrofts and "sell it back" at which point its not mine. The import will be for me and me alone until I return the box so its personal.

you can only do 32kg now and we will have to pay 60usd for each bag for that. We will then need another bag for our stuff so another 85usd.

Seems like a lot !

We only paid 120ukp to get it here with 100usd to clear it myself.

need to look at other options.....