Thieves in Caterham/Surrey 15/10/13

CwazyWabbit

One quite nice security measure I came across, was a recording of a big dog but to make it a bit more realistic he had a geared motor with a bar at right angles to the end of the shaft connected to a bit of heavy chain. The motor itself was loosely attached to the inside of the van by a couple of feet of chain. When the motor was switched on, the motor leaped around like a frenzied dog. You could hear, but more importantly feel it leaping around - and added to the recording - it scared the wits out of me & I like dogs!

Si

One quite nice security measure I came across, was a recording of a big dog but to make it a bit more realistic he had a geared motor with a bar at right angles to the end of the shaft connected to a bit of heavy chain. The motor itself was loosely attached to the inside of the van by a couple of feet of chain. When the motor was switched on, the motor leaped around like a frenzied dog. You could hear, but more importantly feel it leaping around - and added to the recording - it scared the wits out of me & I like dogs!

Si

Sounds like another development for you. X-dog? :)

On the being on the receiving end of a law case; British courts decided in the early 90's that they wouldn't be sucked into the American compensation culture. So yes it is very over hyped ; however setting man traps will still land you in jug and shooting people is frowned upon.

On a personal note I would be very upset if someone stole my new to me 90 but that is why it's insured; is a piece of metal really worth possibly killing a person no matter how much of a **** they are.

I'd be against anything that maims or kills people, putting aside the argument about the rights and wrongs of killing theives for a moment, how many times do you hear people accidentally set off their own alarm? There is a good chance that at some point you forget to disarm it yourself..... bit more than an oops..... or in the event of an accident even when disarmed it could get set off.

That said I wouldn't be going out of my way to be worrying about the health and safety of the thief, eg if my brakes had no fluid in them as I was working on them then I wouldn't feel obliged to leave a warning notice ;)

Would Hykee lock barrels work with central locking? Yes I'm a tart, but I've had enough of walking around vehicles checking every single door!!

My TD5 has the long key barrels that work with the ignition key and owing to the central locking, the lock mechanisms have no wear - my old 300TDI could be opened with anything vaguely flat!

I've gone an ordered Mantec window guards for the rear quarterlights and door. This will improve security considerably.

I work in CCTV, to be honest its a huge misconception! people think it will stop people nicking stuf, or make it easy for the police to catch the crims, but really and truthfully its just a deterrent!

Even when people have been caught on CCTV nicking stuf with a half decent image still no one is caught 90% of the time, and the majority of the ones that are caught get away due to reasonable doubt over the images!

If you can find cheap remote monitoring they can do audio tannoy's and call you if anyone is seen that looks suspicious by vehicle/property and you can run out naked with the chainsaw!

This is the good part.. they will pay out for the loss.

If they saw someone but failed to take action in time or if they failed to take action if they deemed it unwarranted providing its in the agreement and its not like a vehicle insurance claim, you tell them what its worth, not what they deem it to be worth!

It can be reasonably cheep to get coverage providing you only have a couple cams (perfect for a vehicle)

Nothing specific at all, you have to do a bit of chopping of one of the brackets but that it. - if you're carefully you can actually fit it with minimal hole drilling too, but I went fully Monty on its ass.

There's a couple of bolt holes in the back and I just drilled through the steel doubler plate and offered it straight up, pretty simple really.

There are a few threads on here of people fitting them, and a rather broad opinion of them too, but it suits my needs.

Hi guys just reading this post.

Careful of Guildford area also. I drove past a land rover which i do almost everyday early evening.

I had a feeling the two guys leaning in werent supposed to be there so turned around and pulled up along side. As soon as i got out of my car they retracted pretty quickly and started walking fast to their car parked behind leaving the defender doors open.

I walked to their car, following them 'to get a better look' but then turned as they drive off and got to the otherside of my car incase they pushed through me.

I looked at the landy and they had made fast work to remove the wheel lock. CAlled the police, whom came pretty quick and were "very excited" when i gave them the registration plate of their car.

Anyway - i never heard anymore but watch out..

Hi guys just reading this post.

Careful of Guildford area also. I drove past a land rover which i do almost everyday early evening.

I had a feeling the two guys leaning in werent supposed to be there so turned around and pulled up along side. As soon as i got out of my car they retracted pretty quickly and started walking fast to their car parked behind leaving the defender doors open.

I walked to their car, following them 'to get a better look' but then turned as they drive off and got to the otherside of my car incase they pushed through me.

I looked at the landy and they had made fast work to remove the wheel lock. CAlled the police, whom came pretty quick and were "very excited" when i gave them the registration plate of their car.

Anyway - i never heard anymore but watch out..

Good work!!!! :i-m_so_happy::i-m_so_happy::i-m_so_happy:

I was amazed how brazen they were when they had a go at mine but from your experience it sounds like that is the norm :blink:

They're not brazen as we would put it. They think they have every right to take other peoples property as the want it. Not only that, if stopped, they say they have the right.

Blimey become a right wee crime fighter haven't wee... well crime spotter more like I guess...

lol :) I only looked as one of the owners asked, he gave me an approximate time so I had a scan through to see if anything was caught.

I can't believe they had the neck to come back again like they did-Cheeky bleeders

John

That's not the half of it, they nicked so much they stashed some of it in hedges around a local park..... one of the owners found the stashed tools and took them back and then watched for them to come back and try to collect them from the park, which they did.

lol :) I only looked as one of the owners asked, he gave me an approximate time so I had a scan through to see if anything was caught.

That's not the half of it, they nicked so much they stashed some of it in hedges around a local park..... one of the owners found the stashed tools and took them back and then watched for them to come back and try to collect them from the park, which they did.

Please please tell me there have been some arrests...?

if these 2 scum are so active why aren't the police in the area keeping a lookout for them, I'm sure Mr Wabbit would tell the police times these scum are active 7 catch them redhanded. lets see them talk their way out of it with this CCTV footage

I've passed the cctv on to the family that asked for it, they've been dealing with the police so I assume they are passing the CCTV on to them. Between us we have identified who this pair are and they are well known local trouble makers.

If I find any more out I'll post an update.

I've passed the cctv on to the family that asked for it, they've been dealing with the police so I assume they are passing the CCTV on to them. Between us we have identified who this pair are and they are well known local trouble makers.

If I find any more out I'll post an update.

I know it's not allowed but it sounds like a damn good beating from all their victims is in order maybe then they would respect other peoples property

I know it's not allowed but it sounds like a damn good beating from all their victims is in order maybe then they would respect other peoples property

neither is taking other peoples property, but they still do it so it makes me wonder why not give them a good beating!

Back in days of yonder when Britain was supposedly less civilized there was the stocks where criminals were placed and "abused" by the towns folk, it was by means of teaching them the error of their ways and allowing victims to reap revenge on their perpetrator, seemed to work wonders back then, an also not a big deal if they died whilst being publicly shamed :rolleyes:

Back in days of yonder when Britain was supposedly less civilized there was the stocks where criminals were placed and "abused" by the towns folk, it was by means of teaching them the error of their ways and allowing victims to reap revenge on their perpetrator, seemed to work wonders back then, an also not a big deal if they died whilst being publicly shamed :rolleyes:

Alas, these days if we were to catch the offenders, strip them naked, clamp jump-leads to their nipples then use them to test the HT-output of your Megajolt development-project, they'd only complain that their Yooman-Rights had been violated.