X-Like

Anderzander

Deep hollow drift kits to accommodate common speedi-sleeve applications on Land rovers.

I had to get creative last time I did a stub axle as it was a long way to the land!!!

Might be a versatile tool to sell into other markets where speedi-sleeves are becoming popular ;)

Oh and seal mandrels, long and hollow so the shafts don't always need pulled to fit, for all the usual suspects too, pinched that from someone else :blush:

Either

- Replacement heated washers that dispense a generous amount of water to a designated location (Unlike the current random approach I get from the Land Rover version

Or

- A fitment that accommodates another make of washer jets but then fits into the current holes etc

As suggested by Maverick....

A sticker to indicate that the vehicle has an X-eng pedal lock or other X-Defend security fitted?

Been proved several times now that the scrotes don't notice the pedal lock till they have broken in to the vehicle. Would be nice if they walked by without having a go.

They ignored a 110 with a very visible steering lock fitted that was a 100 yards or so away to have several tries at mine which had a pedal lock amongst other things fitted, the other 110 is in much straighter condition than mine.....

Painting the pedal lock doesn't help either as mine has been broken into a few years back whilst it had a bright yellow pedal lock fitted which they didn't notice till they had started the engine. I also know of a 110 that has been broken into 3 times despite the pedal lock looking like a bumble bee with yellow and black stripes.

So a nice little warning sticker might make them think twice ... if they can read

I thought about Stickers - but came to the conclusion that if they find a way to bypass it, then, to the thief, the sticker says "please steal me!".

This used to be the case with after market car alarms - and the advice was not to advertise what you've fitted. Made sense to me!

Si

I see what you mean Si, it's a bit of a catch 22 situation in some respects. Well I guess the cost of a barrel every now and then is still cheaper than having to replace the Defender :)

EDIT: And it may be wishful thinking but hopefully they will catch the two that tried it last time thanks to the evidence they now have :)

Nigelw / Si,

For the seal drivers, have a set of tubes that ae replaceable / reversible and a "one size" driver that fits over the pinion / output shaft that can be driven with..

I'd also like a funky locker / lid that goes on the wing top to access the space behind the headlights... I was going to try and fit my Eberspacher in that space, just couldn't get to it.

I've got the Gear lock and pedal lock - how about a lock that you can lock the handbrake in with? In combo with an X-Brake you would struggle to move the wagon with the wheels on the ground.

X-Post. Something to concrete into the ground with a loop for chain and a pad or two for padlocks?

OK, One link would be great, but my Insurer took a different point of view! The 'off road use only' doesn't wash legally unfortunately.

The problem with locking the handbrake is the cable is too easy to cut / remove. It could probably be shrouded to make it more difficult though.

I have a neat design for a post lock intended to bolt to a Concrete drive (since I have new concrete and don't want to dig a big hole in it!). It only sticks up 30mm or so from the surface with chamfered edges so isn't too much of a trip hazard.

The locker is an interesting idea - though I'm not sure how many people will want to cut a big hole in the wing top!

Anything to be viable as a product either needs to be expensive or sell a lot to recover prototyping costs. I've tended to err on the side of the latter, but it has to be something I think I can sell perhaps 150 per year and over 1000 over the life of the product. It obviously depends what it is - but on the whole that recovers the development costs in less than a year. Even at that, it means you are effectively showing a loss for the first year on a product.

This tends to rule out a lot of potentially cool stuff sadly.

Si

Bolt-on one-link+panhard front suspension ;)

Yes Yes Yes Yes... but Si has already said before his insurers wouldn't cover.

OK, One link would be great, but my Insurer took a different point of view! The 'off road use only' doesn't wash legally unfortunately.

[snip]

Anything to be viable as a product either needs to be expensive or sell a lot to recover prototyping costs. I've tended to err on the side of the latter, but it has to be something I think I can sell perhaps 150 per year and over 1000 over the life of the product. It obviously depends what it is - but on the whole that recovers the development costs in less than a year. Even at that, it means you are effectively showing a loss for the first year on a product.

This tends to rule out a lot of potentially cool stuff sadly.

Si

Any idea what makes the front more of an issue to them than the X-Arms on the rear? Surely with your engineering skill and knowledge you could convince them?

what about making a kit of parts that just happen to bolt together into something that might or might not resemble a 1-link? :P.

How about a way to keep the doors open?

As in when I open the front or second row doors if I am on even the slightest of slopes I have to play a balancing game to get them to stay open ..... or is this just a case that my door stays are knackered?

EDIT: If there was a good solid way to keep them open I'm sure off roaders as well would appreciate them considering the angles they have to open doors at.

How about finding a more receptive insurer, so that 'all the cool stuff' can happen?

This is possible, but is not an engineering project!

There are two options:

(a) Form your own insurance company:

Firstly find enough people with ££££££ to invest so that there is enough to cover all potential claims (and Public Liability i.e. 3rd party claims can run into millions).

Next, agree a set of criteria so that similar risks can be pooled together for homogenous exposure. NB this must include all kinds of modifications.

Work out expected loss ratios and profit margins (believe it or not but investors might like to see a little bit of growth on their investment!,) and once this is done calculate premiums!

Market it, but let's face it there is a lot of competition out there already!

Or (b)

find enough interested owners of similar vehicles that have been modified to within agreed parameters that you can persuade an existing insurer to take the risk on-board.

Alas both are unlikely!!