X-Like

Anderzander

My thoughts were very much along the lines of RepRap 3D printers where people sell the bits you need a printer or CNC to make - then they source all the motors and stuff themselves.

If they cannot make it cut nicely, there are at least a few different suppliers to quiz and provide support.

Si

Thats a shame things arent working out as hoped with Foundry. It seemed a perfect idea. One that should have enabled you free reign design wise. Sounds like they have wasted a little of your time si.

Look forward to more of your ideas. The ones so far have been great :)

No not at all, think a load of ideas came from the forum, call it design by committee ... (...joke in there about a camel...) this forum is a good place to develop ideas practically and to simplify them sometimes (got an idea for a tube notcher using my lathe for the a axis.... (Another thread required... )

Rob

Strangely enough - flushed with success over the Plasma Cutter, I've been thinking about a tube notcher! You're right - another thread called for!

There's no way I'm using the plasma anywhere near my Lathe though!

Si

The plasma tube notchers I have seen all rotate the tube in a chuck, in my mind they woud be more useful if the tube stayed still. I know this would make it much more complex to make but it would allow you to work on tubes that are really long or already have a bend or two added to them.

What do you think Simon? Would it be possible?

Sorry about the Foundry problems Si, great news though that you're not done :)

Just a thought, LR don't do the crank damper for the Td5 anymore and the aftermarket ones are hit and miss, in my experience anyway. The other thing that really got on my nerves and that ended up costing me double because I experimented with a custom version was the oil cooler. Another internal design would involve casting, but I thought a kit to tap in an external Mocal or something off the shelf could be possible. The Td5 is at the age now where more and more will need both parts replaced.

Maybe the margin wouldn't be there but a D2 CDL linkage that is a little more reasonably priced. I'd have thought that'd pack itself, lick the stamp and hop it's own way into the post van.

Ok I'm gonna stop, but a RRC top tailgate locking mech that wasn't a bag of carp?

Thanks Santa

(I was going to put a thin plate guard over the bed...)

This one here still wins with me really as the a axis will always be in fixed units and not rotational degrees transposed into tube diameter. The former is the way a lot of tube notch apps / utilities that output a cad drawing profile seem to work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7fK4qaf4maI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D-BuRLhfLvk

(I was going to put a thin plate guard over the bed...)

This one here still wins with me really as the a axis will always be in fixed units and not rotational degrees transposed into tube diameter. The former is the way a lot of tube notch apps / utilities that output a cad drawing profile seem to work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7fK4qaf4maI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D-BuRLhfLvk

Tut Tut.

First start your 'Tube Notching by Plasma' thread, THEN (re)post your suggestions into it.

:-)

Regards.

I built it - it works but doesn't make enough of a difference for the cost to be worth it in my honest opinion! It would cost about the same as a Webasto but without the advantages it gives!

I'd like to make an air re circulation kit as that worked really well.

Si

Some new integrated storage solutions for a 90 would seem to have a decent audience - particularly something that would work with a csw rear seat set up.

Under the front floor - what space there is in the tubs ...... ? Anything from the size of a small safe up.

I did look in detail at door & hinge security - but came to the conclusion that there were so many potential entry points that needed protection, you would end up having to spend £200-£500 to make a worthwhile job of it. In that light it was better to ignore the exterior security and try to protect the vehicle from being stolen and add a secure storage box inside with only a single point that needs protecting.

If you fit better locks and protect the hinges, they just use a screwdriver to lever the top of the window outward and snap off the window frame. The window comes out whole and you can slot it back in to the track. Climb in through the window orifice.

So, you need to protect the door tops too. This is certainly possible - but now you have 2 or 3 locks to release to open the door.

You would really need multi point frame bolts around each door plus window guards all round. Protecting the windscreen is harder - yes, they have been stolen by peeling the windscreen rubber and climbing in that way. I guess you could fit a mesh screen on the outside - but then you would pretty much have a police riot van!

It's still not safe because you can, with the aid of a hammer, pop the floor panel from underneath and climb in from beneath. the list goes on!

Si