X-Like

Anderzander

more security devices, mainly along the KISS protocol, where they wont invalidate any insurance whilst in use, but easy to fit/remove. The problem seems to be with disklocks and the like "I was only popping in the shops for a few minutes"

1) maybe something to lock the steering arm at full lock either through a revised column lock/wheel boss adaptor or drop arm (harder to fit).

2) device / to lock the axles to stop a tow/push theft. (modded x brake) where the device cant be applied in motion.

3) hardened casing for the back of the injector pumps to prevent easy access to wire/solenoid.

Pete

I keep thinking that the dead bolt idea should be remote activated and using central locking actuators could be cost effective?

Or how about pop up garages? they have to take the whole garage to take the truck?

I have heard of a motorbike being stolen like that; they took the whole shed it was chained to inside on the back of a hiab truck, told the neighbours it was going away to be mended

Series/Defender doors that don't rot/rust/fizz and are marginally more secure are a crazy dream of mine. Seems like it should be within the realm of human endeavour to stick something together out of ali that is a bit nicer, given that even grotty doors fetch £250 a pair and Pumas are having their (galv steel) doors stolen. Got a few ideas around using decent ali extrusions to make the frame strong enough but of course a custom extrusion costs and requires a minimum order. If Lotus can glue an ali chassis together it must be doable.

• Like 1

I have seen some nice series door bottoms made from a frame of ~10x35 Ali strip on edge stitched to the standard skin. Light and rot resistant.

An Xcam to record some of the more amusing incidents you have described from your prototyping endeavours would be fun ( for us at least!)

Will.

Chain mail gloves that are resistant to all known cutting tools and prevent digits from becoming entangled in circulating/reciprocating bits of Landrover. Boiler suit that really is resistant to gobs of weld burning through and attaching to ones sternum. A Landcover beany hat that prevents the various sharp bits from re-arranging ones scalp and leaving one follicle challenged , in patches. Oh and a superglue dispenser for the times when a plaster simply will not stop the bleeding?

Think a text message every time someone, cat dog bird goes past it will be annoying (what do you do in a shopping centre etc return to the vehicle to check?)

The gps alarms I've heard can give false alerts sometimes plus I'm sure I've read that thieves can use some detector to locate tracking devices and remove them. At the end of the day you can at best try to stop someone getting into it then stop it starting then stop it being driven until they lift it up and drive it away on a flatbed (ground anchor required)

Suggest lobby for harsher sentencing (hard labour, whatever) as a deterrent as repeat offences seem the norm with car theft the post crime detection and capture rate seems good though.

I was wondering how hard could it be to make doors out of something like 3mm aluminium then cut a 5" tube into quarters and weld the three pieces together then add a simple frame to the rear and some mount points for the hardware (thinking series doors here not wind up windows .... )

I looked at making grp doors but then found the aforementioned company and I can't make them any cheaper than the price they charge.

Grp doors are better than Ali they don't dent, bend or rust/corrode and they are easy to repair and probably stronger.

Same goes for the galv steel ones off Pumas but that doesn't make it proper for a Land Rover :P just 'cos you've got a thing for plastic cars :SVA go away:

How about a few more series products, I'd love to see maybe something in the way of a tank guard, or a set of discreet rock sliderstar.

I realise seires owners are a minority but they do have the same needa as defender owners. Maybe you could start off with selling a set of drawings and do files as to save the manufacturing costs, you own the design, but the customer gets it made, I do realise there are copyright issues with this.

As stated above, series security is surprisingly lacking and there are some VERY nice (and easy to nick, sometimes easier than defenders) series about. Not much in the way of security options for them.

I love the idea of a bolt on PAS kit and also the idea of series continationX on existing defender product lines (bonnet strut kit etc)

And a plastic load bed liner wouldn't go amiss, I assume you could get away with 3 different liners, 90, 110, and 110 dcpu (also fitting series 88) although I realise tooling costs would be quite high

The problem seems to be with disklocks and the like "I was only popping in the shops for a few minutes"

That's why I think the X-Eng pedal lock is so brilliant, 2 seconds to lock..no excuse.

Still hoping they'll be a series version one day.....