X-Like

Anderzander

• 1 month later...

post-74-0-69127100-1439305077_thumb.jpg

A little update. Reading OBD data has proven a lot harder than I imagined! This however is the first time I've been able to correctly read live data - though it's from an OBD Emulator rather than having to sit in the car never mind take photos while moving!

I abandoned using WiFi because there was simply not enough memory to implement the IP stack, manage the connection or generate any kind of user interface. I only have 28kbytes to play with - and 11k of that is taken for the two fonts I'm using.

This is using a BlueTooth interface into a very low cost OBD Dongle (Cost £4 delivered!).

I had hoped to have a shiny user interface to configure the gauge - but it's going to be very sparce. It uses a BlueTooth terminal app on a phone / tablet which is free to download then just asks for a series of numbers / strings of characters to configure each of the 6 things it can display (selected from 20 or so OBD readings and several analogue / digital inputs or any combination of the two).

The project stalled for a couple of weeks as it just stopped working. The display was not behaving and it turned out that the display itself was faulty. Another one turned up today - and it immediately worked!

Si

And even better - it connected OK to my RRS:

post-74-0-29328600-1439331824_thumb.jpg

Some of the PIDs are obviously not the same as my emulator. Think I need to enumerate which PIDs are available then intelligently decide which to use for each of the built in measurements.

Si