X-Like

Anderzander

a nice pipe clamp that fits a roll cage tube and allows stuff to mount to it, I was looking for something like this to put my waffles on the side of my cage

or a battery box big enough to take a leisure battery or 2 winch batteries that bolts to the side of the chassis rails to free up inside space, it would have to be up to taking a hefty knock off road though...

mike

Puma pedal lock. I've had a look at my footwell and a Pedal Lock and think it would be fairly straightforward. The length of the main face of the lock would need to be a bit shorter (or longer, I can't remember) and the bolted mounting point a bit closer to the seat box, but I think it'd work.

I remember you saying that not enough Puma owners would want to drill holes in thier floor panels - as they get older, I'm sure owners will get less precious!

Side window demister vents that fit on the existing dashboard vents, that don't cost an absolutely ridiculous amount of money...

The reason for cost is that tooling for injection moulded plastic is incredibly expensive, so unless many thousands are going to be sold things work out expensive.

Another suggestion is a heavy duty screw type alternative to the cumbersome, sometimes dangerous Hi Lift bumper jack. Similar to what was issued Standard on 110's, but a bit beefier with decent thrust bearing and worm thread cleaner on either side of the worm nut. A right angle drive crank handle instead of the ratchet would also be a nice feature

3D printing opportunity?!

3D printing isn't a cheap process either, but it can produce excellent parts for R&D, without having to fork out for tooling.

I very much doubt you could print these parts any cheaper than the moulded versions already available to buy.

• Like 1

Great Idea !

How about a way to keep the doors open?

As in when I open the front or second row doors if I am on even the slightest of slopes I have to play a balancing game to get them to stay open ..... or is this just a case that my door stays are knackered?

EDIT: If there was a good solid way to keep them open I'm sure off roaders as well would appreciate them considering the angles they have to open doors at.

Hmmm

• Some way to mount a tow socket which is protected and reasonably water proof. I did look at trying to adapt one of the military sockets to take a ‘civvie’ connector, but a seller at Newbury wanted £20 for a knackered one!
  • A dash which would allow permanent mounting of a 7in tablet. These are now at price where a permanent mounting makes sense, for GPS (on/off-road duties), OBD on-the-fly, as well as the jukebox. I personally have a hatred of wires running everywhere and ‘cluttered cockpit’ syndrome. I appreciate there’s some competition in the defender dash marketplace (MUD, Raptor, IronGoat) but I suspect a well-made, configurable X-dash would sell like hot X-buns (see what I did there?). If you could somehow add a side-mounted fuse/distribution board for auxiliary circuits, that would, I’m sure broaden the appeal even more.
  • I second the battery box idea – perhaps similar to the one Mmgemini made - I.e. where you could fit 2 batteries in, but have a decent retaining mechanism, and room for a decent busbar? Perhaps sell as a deluxe x-splitcharge kit.
  • A plastic fuel tank which fits in place of the 110 metal one (pre TD5) – without the need to make chassis mods. Going by MikeTomCat’s thread, seems 90 tanks aren’t great either. Yachty types have small volume, rotational moulded diesel tanks made quite often, so tooling/setup costs might not be as bad as you think

Matt

• 1 year later...

I'd forgotten about this thread !

Is it all quiet on the X-Development front ? I had hoped that once the sales but moved to foundry we would have seen a host of new inventions !

I didn't forget about it, I'm just too thick to come up with useable and suitable ideas :rolleyes:

The deal with Foundry was that I would develop stuff, they would sell it and I would get a commission on sales - which sounded great. The bit that did not occur to me was that if they decided not to sell it, however much development work went in - is completely wasted!

At their request I spent a few weeks making a draw for heavy cool boxes or tool boxes which when mounted on your wheel box or on the back of a truck would drop the box 250mm, counterbalanced on gas struts so it's easy to lift & push back in. Sent them the design file - and heard nothing back!

Either they went off the idea or it cost too much or something else - but whatever happened, I was a few weeks and a few quid on prototyping down with nothing to show for it. I figured I'd wait till something happened with that before I did any more!

Shame really as I have a stack of good ideas, not least the ones above! Perhaps the time has come for "Y-Eng" ;)

In the mean time I had to get a "proper" job to pay the bills! I'm currently Chief Engineer for a company who make robotic packaging machinery. On some levels it's pretty cool but it's not the same.

Another company is on the cards - I just need one 'killer' product to kick the whole thing off with. The X-Brake kept X-Eng going on its own for the first few months until I had the money to develop the next few products.

The X-Brake was actually born out of this forum! It was one of the most complained about things. I posted a few ideas and the ball started rolling from there. Maybe the plasma cutter could be a start! I've been thinking about a cheap CNC plasma tube notcher recently. Perhaps selling both would be viable - but the market size I think is fairly small compared to X-Brakes.

Si