Inner Tube Question

Andy

i only recently found out there are two sizes of tyre valve so i'd never thought of this problem till it occured today. ive got a tube in a tyre that takes a large valve, but the valve on the tube is a small valve. im worried it'll move about & chaff, am i correct?

its currently my spare so shouldnt do many miles.

Another solution would be to buy one of the plastic inserts that reduces the size of the valve hole. These are pushed in from the inside before fitting the tube. Should be available from most tyre fitting companies.

They are called "ferrules" I seem to recall :)

Better to have the right tube (stem will be thicker thus stronger) but they are one way around the problem.

Valve sizes are TR13 for a normal tubeless rim and/or a thin valve tube, and TR15 for a thick valve like you need for most Defender 5.5" steel wheels. So for example the tube spec would be quoted as a 7.50R16TR13 or 7.50R16TR15 for the fat valve type. Tubeless valves are specced using the same means, I think it is probably the size of the rim hole in mm though I have never actually measured one!

Very interesting, I had this problem recently, as I had a few spare Michelin 7.50x16 tubes and needed one fitted in my spare due to a small side wall puncture, but these have have the larger valve stem and the LR alloys need the smalled ones, and they only way I could get around it was to fit a 15x9 tube. Not really the done thing, but now knowing the proper numbers, I`ll try to order the correct ones. :D

You can certainly buy thin and thick valve tubes in both 205R16 and 7.50R16 sizes though whether you will get them in Dubai may be another matter! Generally TR13 rims are intended to be tubeless, and TR15 are intended to be tubed, at least of all the ones I have seen.

You could probably turn the valve stem down on a bench grinder but I daresay it isn't recommended :)