Video Camera recomendations for Off Road Use

Hybrid_From_Hell

Hi all,

Hopefully not deemed as Off Topic.

Took the 90 out greenlanning for a shake down of the new engine etc, (one of the ONLY parts of the engine NOT replaced was the belt tensioner - which duly died after 8 hrs ...) but

I decided to mount a windscreen camera - and used my Lumix 10 megapixels camera - which has a "Movie Mode"

The net resuklt is I have some video, but it is very "Blocky" and thats at the highest setting.

I know that this is really a Camera - and that it has a Movie Mode, so I am thinking of buying a new proper Video Camera dedicated to off road use, and maybe

mounted full time in the cab for anti road rage / idiot vids etc :lol:

Its YEARS since I bought a Camcorder - the last one I had cost a small fortune, and was tape Hi8 I think ! now with HD Cards etc I am wondering how much I need to spend to get something very high quality image / results wise ?

Any ideas / guidance would be good :)

I guess the only "Must" is a screw mount for the windscreen mounting so it fits in the 90 - other than that I am open to info !

Nige

Nige,

I've been looking for some time for a action camera to use offroad and I have to agree with the above comment that GoPro is the ultimate choice if money is no object. There's a guy on youtube that reviews action cameras all the time and the claim he made earlier this year was that the China made SJ1000 is the best video camera for under £100. http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/6/9/sj1000-at-lasta-good-cheap-action-camera.html

I've bought one and it does take great videos.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-Sports-Helmet-Action-Waterproof-Mini-DV-Dash-Car-Camera-Cam-SJ1000-Blue-/261278821659?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item3cd56e6d1b

But it does come with faults, the buttons on the sides rattle! is the most common problem and poorly made under water house and crappy mounts. Being inventive with various camera mounts laying about in the house I've solved the mount problems for me and the under water house, I simply use that as a carrier with the restrictive lens removed. as for the button rattles, I've placed clear tape over the buttons.

Here is a video from an offroading trip a few weeks back using the SJ1000 video camera, you will note that there is still a button rattle. I've read that the rattle came from one set of buttons on one side so I taped them, but my video camera has the loose button rattle from both sides. LOL

Video compression at youtube sucks but the original video is very good. I could dub music over the video to mask the button rattle.

So my suggestion if your looking for a cheap video camera that does take good video in the woods the SJ1000 is hard to beat.

Todd.

Nige,

I've been looking for some time for a action camera to use offroad and I have to agree with the above comment that GoPro is the ultimate choice if money is no object. There's a guy on youtube that reviews action cameras all the time and the claim he made earlier this year was that the China made SJ1000 is the best video camera for under £100. http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/6/9/sj1000-at-lasta-good-cheap-action-camera.html

I've bought one and it does take great videos.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-Sports-Helmet-Action-Waterproof-Mini-DV-Dash-Car-Camera-Cam-SJ1000-Blue-/261278821659?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item3cd56e6d1b

But it does come with faults, the buttons on the sides rattle! is the most common problem and poorly made under water house and crappy mounts. Being inventive with various camera mounts laying about in the house I've solved the mount problems for me and the under water house, I simply use that as a carrier with the restrictive lens removed. as for the button rattles, I've placed clear tape over the buttons.

Here is a video from an offroading trip a few weeks back using the SJ1000 video camera, you will note that there is still a button rattle. I've read that the rattle came from one set of buttons on one side so I taped them, but my video camera has the loose button rattle from both sides. LOL

Video compression at youtube sucks but the original video is very good. I could dub music over the video to mask the button rattle.

So my suggestion if your looking for a cheap video camera that does take good video in the woods the SJ1000 is hard to beat.

Todd.

#

Todd

Thats an interesting loittle unit ...

But the sample vid as you say is quite "Blocky"

Any chance you could upload say 15 secs of original HD footgae here or host with a linky so I can see the qulaity when taken vs you tubed ?

:)

Nige