Altering A Crossmember

Les Henson

Now that the engine is in catflap and the right way round (a bonus!) :P . I'm turning my attention to the exhaust system, whch I'll make myself apart from one silencer and the downpipe. I was originally going to bring the pipe under the flywheel crossmember, back up, and along to the back where it'll exit through the PTO hole.

However, going under the flywheel crossmember means that that part of the exhaust would be low, and therefore prone to damage from litter in Tesco's car park :)

If I was to cut a curved recess out of said crossmember, weld it so that it still had 4-sides, the exhaust would be tucked up out of the way. I don't know about any problems there might be with altering the chassis with regards to any construction and use regs or maybe MOT regs, although I don't think I'll have a problem with the MOT side of it. Have any of you altered a crossmember in any way and had problems?

Thanks.

Les.

Now that the engine is in catflap and the right way round (a bonus!) :P . I'm turning my attention to the exhaust system, whch I'll make myself apart from one silencer and the downpipe. I was originally going to bring the pipe under the flywheel crossmember, back up, and along to the back where it'll exit through the PTO hole.

However, going under the flywheel crossmember means that that part of the exhaust would be low, and therefore prone to damage from litter in Tesco's car park :)

If I was to cut a curved recess out of said crossmember, weld it so that it still had 4-sides, the exhaust would be tucked up out of the way. I don't know about any problems there might be with altering the chassis with regards to any construction and use regs or maybe MOT regs, although I don't think I'll have a problem with the MOT side of it. Have any of you altered a crossmember in any way and had problems?

Thanks.

Les.

Hey Les.......just "do your own thing"...... paint it all black.................. would anyone really know? :) :) :)

"It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission "

:) :) :)

Now that the engine is in catflap and the right way round (a bonus!)  :P . I'm turning my attention to the exhaust system, whch I'll make myself apart from one silencer and the downpipe. I was originally going to bring the pipe under the flywheel crossmember, back up, and along to the back where it'll exit through the PTO hole.

However, going under the flywheel crossmember means that that part of the exhaust would be low, and therefore prone to damage from litter in Tesco's car park  :)

Thanks.

Les.

Well this was pretty much hacked around rear crossmember. But it passed 2 MOT test at a strict place

rear5.jpg

Les,

MOTs are all to do with structural strength.

Most MOT stations will look at a mod and then the condition of the metal, if the metal of the chassis is solid, and it looks strong then ok.

If it looks as thought the structural integrity has been severaley compromised then is a fail, as is holes.

IMHO sensible mods with good welds and metal won't cause a prob as the prev photo amply demonstrates !

Nige

If I remember the "official" approach as far as MOT's go, as long as the stuctural integrity remains sufficient to serve the original purpose, if that doesn't sound too pompous.

I think it comes down to, if you take a hard look and are happy to drive around with it then it will suffice.

Rangies changed both the bolted crossmember (under the GB front) and the rear boxes to smaller section tubes to allow for exhausts & weight reduction not to mention cost savings.

I know of at least one person :rolleyes: who drove his Rangie around for a long time without the bolted crossmemeber because he couldn't get the sports exhaust to fit without touching. Offroaded it quite heavily too. I believe he refitted it after taking the sports system off for another vehicle and it matched up perfectly.

I am not recommending this off course :o