200tdi conversions - what does your engine bay look like?

snailracer

Basically I think mine is untidy and needs sorting out but I don't really know where to start so I thought I'd post a picture and ask for advice on the best location for everything and how its fixed in that place.

Here's mine

P1010202.jpg

Air filter is a cone type tucked in the bottom left corner attached to the wing using the disco plastic piece that goes on the end of the cylinder. Pipework is a bit of a mess but I dont want to start replacing bits until I have a better idea of where I want stuff.

Doesn't look too bad compared to some series bays! In mine (its a 2.5 N/A conversion) the engine bay was a right mess. What does make a real difference is rerouting pipes and wires and running them neatly so they aren't dragging all over the engine bay (for example running loose wires in plastic conduit). This is basically all that i did on mine as well as replacing the steel pipes to the heater with copper ones and its made it look a lot tidier!

I do have a few pictures of the engine bay on my thread which shows how it was before and how it is now after tidying up :)

Yes - that looks basically sound to me.

I think the fuel filters look better, more factory, when they are mounted onto the bulkhead. Other than that if just your electrics were tided up, with neater runs and (as above) in conduit, then I think it would look good :)

Jon White: how is your air filter mounted? I'm thinking about putting mine back on and getting rid of the cone, mainly because its a bit vulnerable to water, especially under some of the bridges in the new forest in winter!

Definitely good to see others and hear options. I think I'll get some conduit and maybe spend a weekend fiddling about with the position of bits.

Also does anyone know what to do about my heater? It has no valve so its hot all the time (ie continuously plumbed in). Any clever ideas on fitting a valve?

Jon White: how is your air filter mounted? I'm thinking about putting mine back on and getting rid of the cone, mainly because its a bit vulnerable to water, especially under some of the bridges in the new forest in winter!

Definitely good to see others and hear options. I think I'll get some conduit and maybe spend a weekend fiddling about with the position of bits.

Also does anyone know what to do about my heater? It has no valve so its hot all the time (ie continuously plumbed in). Any clever ideas on fitting a valve?

Pair of vice grips on the heater hose would do it :wacko:

From what I remember (mine has a V8 now) the 300tdi intercooler fits better as both connections come out of one side whereas a 200 has one out of the top in the middle which is a pain. On a series you can fit it infront of the (200) radiator with a bit of adjustment. That means you retain the series front end. I have pics somewhere I think

i hate mine at the moment but here is a link to it, there is so much going on with little room for mods and the origional loom is a rats nest, i need a new loom and to make myself an aux loom too.

i hate messy wiring and pipework

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151014088666222&set=a.331591241221.157710.650021221&type=3&theater

sorry its a FB link but my resizer is playing up atm.

it is kingspan, yeah it looks nasty, but for freenit made a massive difference to the noise. I'm going to get some of that noisekiller propper vibration deadeningwhen i get round to galvingthe bulkhead. Maybe that's when ill get a new loom too.

From what I remember (mine has a V8 now) the 300tdi intercooler fits better as both connections come out of one side whereas a 200 has one out of the top in the middle which is a pain. On a series you can fit it infront of the (200) radiator with a bit of adjustment. That means you retain the series front end. I have pics somewhere I think

Just bear in mind that the top intercooler hose is bigger on a 300 than a 200