Rant: tyre fitting

Turbocharger

My road tyres are wearing out, my offroad tyres have a puncture. I want to combine the two sets but in the interim (ie just after my holiday) I want to move some tyres about to get best life out of the TracEdges I have. I want four tyre/wheel combos broken down and rebuilt, so I head out with £20 in my pocket, £5 a wheel.

First guy says he's too busy - that's fine.

Second guy says he's not really interested in that kind of work - fine too, thanks for the honesty.

Third guy says there's a European Directive preventing fitment of second hand tyres - that's b*llocks, but I trot on.

Fourth guy says they're too big for his machine - I don't mention the LR-size tyres that he advertises for sale and move on. I don't appreciate being lied to.

Fifth guy is open till 5pm, but apparently 'just closing' when I rock up at lunchtime.

Sixth guy just flatly says no, since I haven't bought the tyres from him. There's nothing going on in his shop and three guys stood idle (including manager) but he doesn't want my business. Becoming hacked off now.

Seventh guy reckons he's liable if a tyre is cut or damaged and explodes on the road, at any point in its subsequent lifetime, so turns me away.

Kwik-fit: "Good afternoon sir, no problem, that's £35 a wheel please." I'm gobsmacked. £35? I'd rather struggle with tyre-levers for £140. I'm wondering if it'll be easier to just splash out and buy a set now instead, and leave the two 'spares' at the side of the motorway somewhere. :ph34r:

Finally, I went to a real back street in a one horse town, asked to see around the back and then went to the bottom of the garden, and round the back again. I made sure it was a particularly back-street day, spoke to man 'out the back' and pointed out that there was no pressing need for a receipt. There my second hand tyres were wedded with my wheels (and balanced) for £10 a corner.

(Of course, the cash machine in nowhereville stings me for £2 to withdraw another £20, but that's my fault for being naive)

I used to get tyres knocked apart and back together for a fiver wherever I was passing - what's happened?!?

Tyre place down the road from me are supposed to charge an absolute fortune (they're part of a national chain) for changing tyres they haven't sold. Can't remember what the list price for swopping the disco's five tyres onto new rims and balancing them was, but he suggested we agreed a more reasonable price and he put it through the till as a selection of jobs that totalled that price. It still wasn't that cheap - from memory about thirty or forty pounds - but it was a lot less than the chart on the wall said he was supposed to charge me...

Guest diesel_jim

Bloody hell! i just use two crowbars and a compressor on mine!

sometimes, if i'm feeling lazy, i'll just use my teeth! B)

seriously though, has anyone used those "tyre-iron" things.... any good?

Guest diesel_jim
I sell tyres at work so have access to a proper tyre fitting machine. Much easier than tyre levers and quite cheap too :)

I bet the fuel bill to your shed would affect things though! :D

Surprised that Kwack Fit even gave you the time of day, they quoted some european directive to me, but when asked to qualify, the gimp explained it was just an email from head office saying they dont fit other peoples tyres.

Local Tyre chain did 2 of them for "just buy the lad a pint, mate" :D

They do still exist you see!

Well I have to commend Southampton Tyre and Rubber on Burgess road. Got D4x4 to deliver the simex to them and they fitted and balanced them to my old scabby 8 spoke just fine for a quite acceptable price. I think I was most impressed by how well they'd managed to balance them, the truck is much better over the old simex..

I always use Kwik-fit to do that job. Used to charge you cash and get the YTS lad to do it fin his lunch time for about £20.

Do it here in Aus too Kwik-fit will fit tyres to rims. Had to get my tailer tyre rims swapped over .

Mind you they say the same in Aus about Kwik-fit .

Can't get shi**er than a Kwik-fit fitter

:lol::lol::lol:

i use kiwkfit too, cause my mate jamie works there so i get it done for free.

used to use discount tyres in worthing, was about £7.50 a corner to fit & balance. they dont seem as keen since i took in a tyre off the bead & said its full of mud but i cant clean it as i cant get it off the rim. they wacked it on the machine & guess where the mud went? well i did warn them!

mind you last time i stood in kwikfit waiting for a quiet mo i ended up helpin with 2 mots... wonder if i can get mine done cheap?

Bloody hell! i just use two crowbars and a compressor on mine!

sometimes, if i'm feeling lazy, i'll just use my teeth! B)

seriously though, has anyone used those "tyre-iron" things.... any good?

evening,

i use tyre levers to change the tyres on the coaches we have at work, its quite easy once you have done a couple, mind you, its just as well they last for years !

the trye levers are about 3 ft long !

I put my 235's tyres on disco rims without any problems, just used liberal amounts of duck oil.

cheers...