Bulkheads - Ashtree repair-vs-new

Dan110

Hi all.

Just after opinions really; the bulkhead on my 1986 ex-mod 110 is past its best with some very spongy bits above the vent flaps and both top corners. Chassis and outriggers are solid and the rest of the truck is sound including footwells.

I'm wondering if anyone has any views on an Ashtree exchange/repair (or any other similar services) vs buying a new/galv replacement.

This will be my first one and as always with LR bits, there are lots of options and it's hard to tell which are good ones!

Thanks in advance

Dan

(apologies if this is old ground - I didn't find what I was after on the search)

Edited by Dan110

I went and spoke to Ashtree at the show at Stoneleigh 2 years ago. They were very helpful people. I did look at the couple of bulkheads they had there, and I was a bit disappointed with what I saw. I know repairing bulkheads is fiddly and time consuming, but for what was on display and what they were charging, I thought they were over priced. For the money, and from the advertised 'cut out the rot and put in new metal', I was expecting invisible repairs, but there were a number of places on foot-wells where they had cut out a hole, and then put a plate over the top rather than letting it in. I decided that for me, the best course was actually to save the money and repair my own.

Of course, if you haven't the facility or the time to repair your own, it is a different story, the welding and galvanizing was of good quality. Its just that in my opinion it didn't justify the cost.

Overpriced in my opinion.

I got one from ghound, who is on several forums. He often lists them on ebay too and has different grading systems - A being great and so on.

Think I got a B grade for £500 delivered. B grade means footwells and hidden areas have been repaired.

Had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever.

I looked at their stuff this year at Peterborough...............or was it Billing ? Cant remember now.

Either way, What I saw was very, erm........... "disappointing". And remember this was stuff taken to a show as a showcase for their product. I hate to think what might turn up on ones doorstep.

If you dont have the equipment or skills ( you dont need much) to repair yourself, I would suggest finding a good one, new, take off, or whatever, and having it galvanized yourself. You will be quids in and get a better product.

And before anyone asks............Yes, I can do a LOT better, and have done several times.

I'll second Diablo's comment about Robert's (Ghound's) work - he's resonably local to me, I've seen his work first hand both finished and in progress and is first rate - doesn't take shortcuts, and has the right skills and attitude towards 'cosmetic' grading and pricing.

Haven't seen Ashtree's stuff in person.

Steve