Heavy Duty Swing Away Spare Wheel Carrier

cookie64

Hey

Just thought id start a thread on my new swing away im making incase anybody was interested

My Scope of what the swing away should be is:

Super Heavy Duty as i have 33" micky thompson baja claws

a single pivot point off the chassis/rear cross member as i have a pick up

Buiklt to last with smooth operation

and last but not least its got to look cool :)

Attached are two images a 3d design of how the hinge assembly is going to attach and a photo of the trial fitting of the hinge support box

post-19769-0-52285900-1383998962_thumb.jpeg

post-19769-0-48287900-1383999132_thumb.jpg

basically yes what you said hehe

except i am turning it myself in work so the hinge pin itself is about 1.5" OD then there will be an arangement of oil seal, 2 back to back high load angular contact roller bearings and an ifor williams hub cap stuck on the top hehe

i estimated that my hige arangement should be well overkill but it shouldnt ever break hopefully

one of the things i dont like about swing aways you can buy is that they all use brass bush pivots which just get accelerated wear with road dirt and grime and the vibrations of a landrover, even allisports £800 version uses them!!!!

If you want a pivot but haven't got access to lathes etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tire-carrier-hinge-kit-swing-out-away-pivot-point-rock-crawler-Jeep-CJ-YJ-TJ-NEW-/190646889116?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6370aa9c

They have dust seal etc and I liked the fact you weld the sleeve in and then could get the bracket powder painted or galvanised

Gary

i did look into buying the pivot, it seems that only americans and austrailians make decent pivots with bearings but to ship to the uk from either makes the hinge cost almost £100 i think with my design anybody could pay a small engineers to turn them a suitable hinge for under £50

I used one of these as per Gary's link http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c6370aa9c - very impressed with it. The separate sleeve means that the stub axle doesn't get heat treated (and therefore brittle) when you weld it in.

The Comp 4x4 guys were really helpful - only the HMRC weren't with the import duty that added another £25 to the cost of bringing it in - mean't that the shipping and tax was almost as much as the product itself!

I will try and dig some picture out when a I get a chance.

• Like 1

Yeh, if you read the Comp 4x4 guys website they mention this as the major cause of shear fracture - you know what the Yanks are like for hanging 37" plus everything else.

I went for the 1000lbs rating but they do a 2000lb which uses a similar hinge design to your picture above.

Looking forward to seeing some more pics as you progress.....

Perhaps weld the sleeve in a then put the spindle in and tack it at the bottom - that's what I did as per the Comp 4x4 fitting instructions.....

Bearing housing complete now

so tomorrows jobs will be test the fitment of bearings etc

weld shaft into the support box and cut off the excess about 50mm

then start design/manufacture of the swing arm

go to hospital because of hernia caused from lifting the assembly

post-19769-0-75681600-1384874461_thumb.jpg

hmmm think i may have over-engineered my hinge pin abit :blink:

my engineering skills were taught the old school was non of this flimsy modern carp

attachicon.gifhinge pin.jpeg

"Looks" about right, considering you've only got one pivot point and it's supported well below the centre of gravity!

These things always look bigger on the desk than they do installed!