Heavy Duty Swing Away Spare Wheel Carrier

cookie64

why thank you sirs :blush:

it looks very beefy and a tad OTT but i checked my measurements last night and it should look fine once the arm is welded on

there are going to be two 2" tubes welded onto it and the hinge is 6" tall so from the bottom will be:

1/2" gap

2" tube

1" gap

2" tube

1/2" gap

• 2 months later...

sorry this has taken so long, i dislocated my shoulder so havnt been able to do anything but back on track now :)

have just made up the reciever plate for the swing away, this will slide over the rear crossmember and bolt on, once i know where the swing arm will sit i will weld on a little plinth with a snauff pipe clamp for the arm to locate in

post-19769-0-74411600-1392989282_thumb.jpeg

post-19769-0-30965600-1392989292_thumb.jpeg

• 2 months later...

thanks

i prefer to over engineer things and have them last for ever than engineer them just enough.

i think in total this cost me about £150 although thats not including all my labour and i got some of the materials for free

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Dr Strangeglove said:

Thanks VB, that is extremely kind. I will try to find some details as I have no idea about bearings and tolerances so I will have to look into that.

I can draw out and laser cut all the bracketery so I can sort that side.

If anyone can help with bearings and tolerances I would appreciate it.

Regards

Mick

If you know what size and style bearings your using, I'll have the sizes to work to.

• 1 month later...
Products
------------------------------------------------------
2 x Timken JL69349310Q Metric Single Row Taper Roller Bearing 38x63x17mm (JL69349/310/Q-TIM) = £35.72
1 x 50x68x8mm Nitrile Rubber Rotary Shaft Oil Seal with Garter Spring R21 / SC (50x68x8_SC) = £3.00

at the Top of the Bearing cylinder i used an Ifor Williams Hub Cap (note: it was a bit too tight so the hole could do with opening up an extra mm) 
  • Like 1