Indicator issue - help / suggestions required please

Hi
I've been ( slowly) rebuilding a 90, after converting from a van to a cab / pickup type, and basically taking on a lot of improvements along the way.

The biggest issue i have had was with the electrics as the loom was a real mess of DIY by previous owner(s). So out came the split charger circuit, centre console carling switches, winch and winch circuit etc and a mile of 2.5mm green and yellow earth cable which was not being used as earth!!!

After getting a new loom from front to rear and all between from Autosparks i am now in a position where everything is working other than the rear offside indicator when using the turn switch.

All the indicators work when using the hazzard switch so the lamps are ok.
The front indicator lamp works on right turn just not the rear!!!

I have run a direct earth to the lamp so it is not that.

any ideas as i am pulling my hair out in lumps? Could it be that the brand new chassis loom from Autosparks is defective on that circuit?? or something else like the steering column switch.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed

thanks

have you tested/changed the bulb or swapped it with the opposite side to prove it works, you could try swapping the complete light unit as well, also have a look inside the light with no bulb fitted sometimes the contacts can be moved & not make a circuit.

do a conrinuity check on that wire from rear to engine bay, then engine bay to switch.

Hi Ralph

all the lights work ( all new LED setup ) as they all work on the hazzard switch and all, except the rear right, work on the indicator switch which would seem to indicate lamps and switches are all ok.

I would suspect the loom but if the lamps all work on the hazzard switch surely that means the loom is ok?? thats what stumping me at the moment!!!

any other ideas??

try another hazard switch as the indicator circuits go through it, this thread might help http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25376

have you got the matching led flasher unit or resistors in each indicator feed line ?

Hi Ralph

i bought the full RDX Kit including the designed for purpose Relay for LED systems or a mix of both from Bolt On Bits and a complete front to back loom ( bulkhead, engine, diesel timer harness and chassis harness ) from Autosparks so in theory it should all work,

It is likely to be something around the point where the right side feed to the indicators - front and rear right splits but i cannot find that at the moment although i've been told that it goes back to the stalk switch after the relay which may be the problem. I dont think that it is the harness.

cheers

Kev

The hazard switch does 2 things:

1. Decides whether to send battery (hazard) or ignition (indicator) feed to the flasher relay

2. Connects the flasher return to left, right, and dash symbol

When hazards are off left and right are seperate and fed from the stalk

After this both left and right split to front, side and rear

If the faulty indicator flashes in hazard mode then it must be connected to left, right, or dash, or directly to the flasher relay

If it doesnt work with indicator, then presumably it is connected to left or dash symbol

Does it flash when you indicate left?

I had a similar problem on fitting the same LED lights to a friends Landy - that too had been DIYed on the wiring front. I can't remember exactly how I fixed it in the end but try adjusting "the knob" on the LED flasher unit. I know on the one I fitted, there was an issue with the trailer dash light being on with the indicators and twiddling the knob a bit :moglite: fixed that. You have got an ignition feed wired up properly as well haven't you?

FIXED !!!!hurray.gifhurray.gifhurray.gif

Turned out to be the stalk switch, after thinking about replacing the old switches i went and bought a set pretty cheap ( under £35 for the lot ) from ebay. fitted them today and all was good with the world!!!

Thanks to all for the help and ideas.

Much appreciated.

Back to work wednesday for another 6 weeks and then hopefully the landrover back together next leave period and in for MOT!!

Cheers

• 6 months later...

Would you believe it !! Bloody indicators have gone again!!!!!! WTF

Got most of the rebuild done but have decide to bite the bullet and take the vehicle to Keith Gotts in Hampshire to get the electrics sorted and then MOTd hopefully next time im home in about 4-6 weeks

Updates to follow.

• 5 months later...