...and I said let there be light but there wasn't !

I had an intermittent problem with the wipers coming on whenever I switched on the headlights or indicated left. This came and went despite a lot of fiddling, pulling and beard scratching.

Things came to a head last week when the headlamps would not work. The sidelights were OK but nothing on the heradlamps, although there was also no wiper swipe :)

Checking the connectors I found one was a wee bit melted.

IMG_20131111_093903.jpg

I replaced connectors and bulbs on both sides just so I had a fair starting point.

IMG_20131111_095948.jpg

Now, I still have no headlamps ! I'm beginning to think there may be a problem with the stick on the column, what can I check before replacing this ?

First.

Buy the proper connectors. Vehicle Wiring Products sell them.

Make yourself up a test lamp. Any side light unit with croc clips on the wires will do fine. A fine probe to hold in the croc clip helps for checking inside Lucar connector blocks.

Test lamp and check that the BROWN wire to the headlight switch is live. The switch on to headlights.

Is the red wire live ?

Is the blue wire live ?

If yes then to the dip switch.

Is the blue/ red wire live with the headlights on ?

Is the blue/ white wire live with the headlights on full beam ?

If yes then you'll have to look further.

If NO then the dip switch is cream crackered.

HTH.

I traced the same problem on my 1991 110, and it was a 1.5v leak back up the front wash wiper circuit, i.e. 1.5v was running up the earth wire on the window washer motor, then jumping back up into the wiper relay. I still haven't worked out how this is happening, but managed to stop it by putting a diode in the earth side of the wiper motor. you need to turn the headlights off when squirting as the potential difference across the motor is dropped down to 10.5v when the headlights are on.

Try unplugging your front wiper washer motor and see if the problem goes away...

With regard to your now lack of lights, those bullet connectors are awful for not contacting once they've been disturbed. you might have to get a volt meter out to do some chasseing of where you're getting volts. I've found with electrics if possible only ever change 1 item at a time, then re-test, I've had 2 brand new bulbs be faulty before which really, really threw me...

Its worth pulling the bullets out and cleaning them up/replacing all together...

Also could be an issue with those nasty scotch connectors too, as per already mentioned.

The bullets are the ones I fitted so are brand new. Not too keen on the scotchblocs but didn't know it was there until I took the lamp out !

I'll have another look when I overcome my latest problem, flat battery from leaving the radio on all week !

Thanks for the suggestions.