Discovery 2 front ball joint replacement

plasticbadger

I'm starting the long list of jobs required to bring my Discovery 2 back up to scratch. First on the list is front ball joint replacement (the ones pressed into the axle).

I understand there's a set of Landrover special tools for this job, but others have had success with using a generic ball joint removal tool set, like those designed for Dana axles. So my questions are:

- Haynes manual doesn't cover this job, so what's the actual process? I presume hub off, shafts out, remove knuckle and then begin with ball joint extraction?

- Does anyone have a suitable tool for this job for loan (return for beer tokens?) in the New Forest / Southampton / Fareham area?

Thank you!

Just starting this. I've read all of the reviewers that have used the standard ball joint remover with success and have opted to give that a go. I think the most difficult point of the job is splitting the steering knuckle, which is the point I'm at now. Hopefully an hour with a big hammer will do the trick

Well, luckily for me it seems I was given some duff information by the garage that MOTed the truck. I got it jacked up and seems all the play is in the steering track rod ends, not the axle ball joints, so an easy fix! The tyres are knackered, but they've done 70k now and could do with replacing anyway.

Let me know how it goes for the future.

Now on to the diff seals, sunroof seals, chassis repair, engine rebuild and rear door hinge replacement....

Update.....managed to have a couple of hours on the disco on Sunday. After finishing off a couple of other niggles from a parts delivery I went back to the ball joints. I eventually got the knuckle apart using a very large hammer! Unfortunately the top joint is also past it's best, so I've got both to do now. My ball joint splitter hasn't quite got the beef to press out the old joints unassisted. I smashed a 22mm spanner tightening the splitter. Going to get my brother to come round with his oxy set to introduce some heat in combination with the splitter. Hopefully that will do the job

Finally got to do some more on this today. I'm using one of the ball joint service kits from eBay. It's generally quite good for a cheap Chinese thing. The only problem is needing as many arms as an octopus to ensure everything's lined up alright before tightening. Unfortunately some of the angles on the discos axles meant that I have to doctor some of the tubes by grinding flats on to them in order to get direct pressing. I was worried about pumping too much heat into the axle and decided against the oxy set and went for a gentle heat through with a propane torch. Both joints pressed out quite easily once heated. I'd read that this was the worse bit over and done with, however I think pressing the joints back in is just as hard.

I managed to get both joints into the casing before light faded on me. Now just to rebuild this knuckle, and do the joints on the other side :(

Managed to spend a couple of hours doing the other side last night. Luckily the top ball joint was ok. Replacing the lower one only took about an hour because I'd already prepared all of the pressing stuff.

It's all back together now. I'm glad that I decided to have a go at doing it myself rather than paying big labour rates at the local independant. Having said that, it's definately not the easiest of jobs I've done on the D2

I can certainly see why LR went to the ball joint knuckle from the old swivel housings. It's just like a lot of "improvements" on later models..... Not designed with the DIY mechanic/ enthusiast in mind