Disco 1 body lift

Peterla

Has anyone lifted the body on a disco 1 Tdi.

I have had a look at it and it does not look to complicated.

Adding 40mm of height using 50mm diameter aluminium solid tube drilled with longer bolts seems the go.

Not sure what to do where the flat rubber mounts sit on the frame though.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Peter

Adding 40mm of height using 50mm diameter aluminium solid tube drilled with longer bolts seems the go.

Peter

the guys in the US body lift landrovers you can even buy kits Rovertym Engineering :D

think you have lengthen the steerring column and lift the rad plus have exta long seatbelt mounts..... and prob lots more :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi , from the island of Malta here. I did that some time ago for my Brothers disco... Actually it is a simple task. i got the kit from rovertyme.

you fit the alum spacers, replace the belt tensioners, longer bolts of course, modify the rad brakets. lenghten the gearleaver and hi-lo, lenghten the steering flexi arm' "in the kit u get a bush but still have to weld it up." and modify a bit the flex hose from the body to the fuel tank.

the more time consuming is modifying the rear and front bumpers. the rear not that much but the front needs work. i will try to post pics.

the clearance obtained between body and chassis is stunning, but still i drove it a bit offroad and i think , we have to change rims and fit macks so they get a bit more further out to get better stability.

and one other thing . springs and shocks must not be standard ones. we fitted +2.

regards. ;)

Peter

I haven't done this to a disco, but have twice lifted my rangie.

First time I used aluminium bar at the body mounts and some 50 mm square hollow bar (on side) where the the flat rubber mounts sit on the frame.

I never worried about lifting the front and rear bars to match the body lift.

Relocate the ends of the brake lines on the front inner guards to lower the flexible hoses, extend the bracket for the rear brake hose and the flexible hose to clutch slave cylinder.

Extend the hi/low lever.

Extend the tee-bolts which take the seat belt load to the chassis.

Lower the radiator and fan shroud. I found this to be the hardest part.

Relocate the flexible hose between the fuel tank and the filler. The filler is different on discos to my old rangie.

The 2nd time, I used the 2-1/2" lift kit that Les Richmond Automotive sell (Victoria). This is much better designed and has many features that I prefer compared to my 1st lift. Although more expensive, it is more elaborate and pre-engineered for Australia. I would recommend it every time. You won't find a better kit than this.

hi again !

Nice to know we have a member in Malta but what's the off roading there like?

Well the virus is well spread here. Many people who spend their earnings to build good , capable offroaders.

When you consider the size of the island,we have a couple of very good sites here in Malta and sister island Gozo, but the problem is that offroad is almost illegal all over the place, so it is practiced a lot by night.

Now since the offroaders are well equiped , the crew have started a trend to travel to Sicily and join off road groups there for events.

If you want to see a couple of the Maltese offroaders... i mean the die harder ones , go google and type " 12 ore trapani in the mud " and you will see the latest group that crossed over for the event. Really nice pics.

If i find some pics , i will post some. We have also an Awdc forum. google Awdc malta and there are very good photo albums too.

I haven't done this to a disco, but have twice lifted my rangie.

First time I used aluminium bar at the body mounts and some 50 mm square hollow bar (on side) where the the flat rubber mounts sit on the frame.

I never worried about lifting the front and rear bars to match the body lift.

Relocate the ends of the brake lines on the front inner guards to lower the flexible hoses, extend the bracket for the rear brake hose and the flexible hose to clutch slave cylinder.

Extend the hi/low lever.

Extend the tee-bolts which take the seat belt load to the chassis.

Lower the radiator and fan shroud. I found this to be the hardest part.

Relocate the flexible hose between the fuel tank and the filler. The filler is different on discos to my old rangie.

The 2nd time, I used the 2-1/2" lift kit that Les Richmond Automotive sell (Victoria). This is much better designed and has many features that I prefer compared to my 1st lift. Although more expensive, it is more elaborate and pre-engineered for Australia. I would recommend it every time. You won't find a better kit than this.

Thanks for the reply. Do you still have any details on the Les Richmond kit and the parts or instructions it contains? I would be keen to see any instructions if you still have them, before I attempt the job myself.

Peter