Rear window dropped & won't work.

reggie

A while back the rear window in the misses 3dr TD4 stopped working, it dropped down a little & when you try to put it up it just clicks & kinda makes a grinding noise. You can actually move it up & down with your hands. I need to get it sorted now winter is approaching & it's a bit of a security risk too.

Any ideas what I might be facing when I strip the back door?

Is it normally just the cable that snaps or a motor fail? Thinking about it though, all the noise must be the motor so guessing it's just the cable. Do you just need a new cable or are there any plastic fixings that need replacing?

The body control module decides what the rear window is allowed to do, there's some logic about not allowing it half open (perhaps above certain speeds, I've never figured it out). Your fault sounds like the cable's snapped, all the window regs in the FL do that, the repair kits are variable - some report miserable failure, mine's been fine. Mine came off ebay member "e-crofting" I think it was.

Ahh fridge, that's the chap I've been speaking to on ebay "e-crofting" going to buy the cable from him as it sounds good quality. Is it hard to do, or do you just need a bit of time & patience?

As if I didn't have enough to do with trying to get my Range Rover back on the road :(

Getting the cable off & on is the fiddle, remaking the cable is dead easy. If you take a deep breath and look closely at how the mechanism works, there are a couple of bits where you can cunningly apply a clip/clamp/mole grip to un-tension it or hold it to make life easier. I can't remember exactly, but I've still got the passenger side to do on mine...

When you take the rear window out, remember to undo the terminals for the heated window....

On the motor housing, make sure you put the plastic, telescopic wire end piece back on with the same orientation or else the overload switch doesn't work.

It's quite easy, just a little fiddly.

Ok, well I got the panel of on Saturday & the cable has indeed snapped. Also just used her Freelander & the heated rear screen no longer works, when I asked the misses how long that has not been working she said since the window broke. Any ideas why this might be?