defender power steering bleeding? seems impossible!!

desperatly trying to get my steering bled, it is doing my head in and need my work truck back on the road, please help.

power steering died when driving home the other day, so pulled over to find the pump looking pretty hot and smoking, so took the belt off and drove home.

thought it would be the pump so bought a new britpart one from paddocks, fitted it and there was no change.

so then thought it must be the box, took the box off and replaced that. had a small piece of mushed up aluminium fall out of one of the port holes when i chucked the old box on the bench which reassured me it was buggered.

so now have new pump and box and still cant get power steering to work, i tried bleeding it for hours last night.

got the wheels jacked up, and nipple un-done. have been steeruing from side to side like a mad man but the pump isnt pumping!!!

it is not circulating in the reseviour, and i can crack off the banjo bolt for the pump outlet whilst its going and it doesnt come pissing out like you would expect?

i cannot get it bled through. tried for ages then thought that the new pump must be carp so refitted the old one (as it seems to work fine in my hand), and i cannot get that bled thrugh either!

bear in mind, pumps good, box is good, pipes and all good and resevior definatly not blocked as ive checked it.

if you have had this problem yourself then i would appreciate some advice.

There are a couple of things here. Firstly you shouldn't have to bleed the power steering, it bleeds itself. All you do is fill it up, turn full lock both ways a few times and that is it.

Secondly you bought a S**tpart pump? You could be asking for trouble there...

Anyway, if the power steering isn't pumping then it could be that your new pump is defective or you have a blockage somewhere. I suspect it could be a blockage that caused the original pump to seize up and this is what your actual problem is but don't just assume that your pump is a good one just because it's new. I know S**tpart stuff should work and I am sure it's fine but this forum (and the entire internet) is littered with people having issues with pattern parts, and S**tpart are one of the highest offenders.

Maybe look at getting a pump from a breakers instead?

You do have to bleed the system, thats why there is a bleed screw! I've always needed to bleed it, while my mate has never had to when breaking into system, just luck I guess.

Anyway, I had the same problem, after hours of trying it finally bled, my method was;

Open the bleed screw by a couple of turns, using a long length of clear ( screenwash) hose from screw, up over wing into a bucket, have someone else topping up. Jacked up front of car, work steering lock to lock while revving engine quite hard!- important!! You'll see a small amount of fluid passing through pipe, then suddenly a big air bubble, and pressurised fluid will start to flow.

Hope this helps, some may say its wrong, but its worked for me a few times on a 300tdi

Good luck ;-)

never bled it before but think i may have had a big air buble as when off roading at the weekend my steering went from fine to screaming at me in a few seconds and took almost half a litre to top up and had lots of little air bubbles in the fluid :s seems alright now tho

I had the same problem a while ago with britpart pumps from paddocks , they sent me another pump which was the same got my money back and found a second hand pump put it on and bleed straight up

I too thought I was going mad

The universal procedure for any vehicle (in general) uses no bleed nipples, it is as stated above, just lock to lock a few times topping up the level.

the nipple may assist i guess (why otherwise would they have put it there?) but i have never used it.

if i were you i would take your pipes back off and check for blockages in them from what i would guess would be bits of old pump. (probably where the other piece of debris lodged in your old box came from)

and finally, the blue box strikes again!