1986 90 fuel filler neck

Lewis

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got around to doing this job and it turns out the later filler neck is both longer and a smaller diameter, I have ordered the new rubber section in the hopes that will fit the new filler neck and the existing tank but I'm not optimistic.

Given that the early rubber pipe looks like it has an additional bend compared to the later one, and that the fuel tank itself has different part numbers for upto 87 and 87 onward I'm guessing that the later tank has an extra bend in the steelwork and therefore my later neck, rubber and early tank combo will be a no go

The filler neck is 3" od and the cap is reminiscent of a series part but less robust. I intended to fit the later cap and neck anyway but I hadn't especially wanted to replace the rubber hose at 25quid.

In the past I have just made parts fit from whatever was available, this time I try to do it properly using land rover parts and it's worse than hard work

• 3 weeks later...

So the rubber pipe arrived whilst I was in Thailand and now back I've finally got chance to have another look at this job.

The later rubber fits the early tank with no problem, the difference between the early and late rubber hose is the diameter at the filler neck and that the later hose has a compound bend so it meets the longer late filler neck.

93DA4C98-3CC7-41D8-8CC0-1C2912F31438_zps

The issue appears when you fit the rubber hose to the tank and find that the pressed stay from the tub to the sill trim is exactly in the way of where the filler neck meets rubber hose, so I removed it

361A1A4F-25B5-4506-A50E-C750A1DD8EDC_zps

It's no problem removing this for me as I'll fit jackable sills/rocksliders when I get chance. If you were keeping the OE sills you could use whatever the later vehicles use to brace them

I decided it would be best to rivnut the filler neck as the original nuts on the fixings were impossible to undo. There is just enough meat in the filler neck flange to fit M6 rivnuts (9.1mm hole), I then used some M6x25 Stainless flange head bolts to fix it. I didn't have a new rubber gaitor so I used some 1/8" rubber strip I had in stock

A578C27E-23D9-4A2A-BC64-EF66158BBCDE_zps

I fitted a new vented non-locking cap as the early cap will not fit the later filler neck.

Total cost has been around £70 for the neck, hose and cap, I used three new hose clips which I already had in stock, as well as the aforementioned rivnuts, bolts and rubber strip

• 1 month later...

Hi Lewis,

Excellent writeup and self-explanatory pics. Thanks for that.

The fuel filler hose on my 1984 ninety is pretty rotten and a bit leaky as well, so I want to replace it. It seems I already have the longer filler neck and the hose you used as well (NTC2338) as it is fouling the pressed stay connecting the tub with the sill. Just to be sure before I order a hose, I'd like to know the diameter of the filler neck (outer diameter of metal pipe where the tube connects). Mine measures 58mm. Could you take a measurement at your vehicle?

Seb

• 3 months later...

Concerning the pressed stay fouling the filler hose, I have found the following solution: Obviously LR changed the shape of the stay for later models with the longer filler neck so the hose will not touch the stay anymore. So I ordered a galvanized pair of these (the old ones were pretty bad anyway) through Ebay. Partnumber is MUC9220.

See attached pic for the difference in shape between the old and the new one. The left end in the picture is attached to the rear tub, the right side to the sill

post-35442-0-27561400-1402570898_thumb.jpg