Trailer €150

Support crew per person €250

Ferry Dover Calais £160 for tow truck and trailer, £70 for support truck

Fuel to get there £650 tow truck, £500 support truck

Vignettes, tolls etc £150 total

Fuel event £250

Insurances, recovery etc £400 approx

Living expenses there £500 approx

Our total for 5 man team, 2 vehicles, trailer, was €4200 entry, plus £2600 in getting there and living, plus much cost of breakage!

I think I will abandon my plans to enter next year Lol. Gee for that kind of Wonga I could buy a used bulldozer and cut a few more jungle style tracks at home.

• Like 1

I stumbled across my costings for last year, for those that were asking:

Comp truck entry €1400

Support truck €250

Trailer €150

Support crew per person €250

Ferry Dover Calais £160 for tow truck and trailer, £70 for support truck

Fuel to get there £650 tow truck, £500 support truck

Vignettes, tolls etc £150 total

Fuel event £250

Insurances, recovery etc £400 approx

Living expenses there £500 approx

Our total for 5 man team, 2 vehicles, trailer, was €4200 entry, plus £2600 in getting there and living, plus much cost of breakage!

Damn, that's more than we spent going to Ladoga :blink:

from the prices you list there, the entry would work out at 2800 euro (=£2324), for 1 car, 2 support cars and trailer and 3 guys support crew. (i assume 2 of the team are the competitors?). Or am i missing something

and £2680 to get there + 2324 = £5004.

Not pocket money, if you were to try to cut cost, what would you take out of this?

Daan

from the prices you list there, the entry would work out at 2800 euro (=£2324), for 1 car, 2 support cars and trailer and 3 guys support crew. (i assume 2 of the team are the competitors?). Or am i missing something

and £2680 to get there + 2324 = £5004.

Not pocket money, if you were to try to cut cost, what would you take out of this?

Daan

If you want to go bear minimum then i would think:

Comp truck entry €1400

Support truck €250

Trailer €150

one support person €250

total €2050

then getting there fuel + ferry + event fuel and this cost all depends on what and how you tow...

Nope its not pocket money (well not for me)... But it is 2 weeks of some tough, demanding offroading, with the biggest emotional highs and lowest lows

If any ones interested we did a short day by day blog last year which Allmakes put in their web site.

http://www.allmakes4x4.com/blog/team-moose-offroad-compete-in-croatia-trophy-2013-part-1

http://www.allmakes4x4.com/blog/team-moose-offroad-compete-in-the-croatia-trophy-2013-part-2

http://www.allmakes4x4.com/blog/team-moose-offroad-compete-in-the-croatia-trophy-2013-part-3

http://www.allmakes4x4.com/blog/team-moose-offroad-compete-in-the-croatia-trophy-2013-part-4

In my experience of European events, there is only 1 main way to cut costs and that is to 'share', although this is not without risk. In particular, if you can share transport costs (get multiple trucks taken out there by 1 wagon, done this before, works well), spare parts stock and service crew then this will see the costs reduce radically. The risks are obvious so there needs to be a well thought-out, unanimously agreed plan but it can work.

Ross

Some of those figures I don't have the full details of, so they're on the high side. At Moose Offroad we share the cost, so for example myself and Maz (2 of the 3 on support) paid all our costs, about £800 each ish. I'm very happy to do this as it's a great experience even of you're not competing. When you consider that without us involved would be about the minimum spend at £3400 ish. Compare it to a 2 day event in the UK it's not too bad.

I appreciate this is a LandRover forum, but if you were to plan a realistic, serious attempt at winning the event, What vehicle would you use as a base to start building from?

Sorry, I missed this earlier. The two classes, as Paul said, do about 75% to 95% of the same road book, with Adventure only missing out the more serious winch sections compared to Trophy.

The guys that placed top 3 in Adventure drove all what most would consider a well built challenge truck, i.e. lockers, suspension mods, roll cage, 2+ winches etc. In fact 2 of the top 3 were quite mild looking Defender 90s, though piloted by very skilled Rusians.

The guys that place top 3 in Trophy were all in pretty serious custom built vehicles, think 100% hand made, portal axles etc. The fact the the likes of Jim Marsden dropped out with breakage and Philon Parpottas only finished 10th shows the level.

If conditions like 2013 repeat I'd think very seriously about doing Trophy class for your first European event due to the amount of breakage and failure we saw. Adventure class is still very serious, but more acheivable on a budget. In the end though the guys that won drove well, navigated well and avoided serious breakage. Certainly in adventure it's more about consistancy than outright speed.

• 3 months later...

The Croatia Trophy is now well underway; The uk teams have 2 retirements before they even started; Jim didn't get his car finished in time and Nick Anderson was to busy working.

The rest was greeted by bucket loads of rain. Looks to become a great event!

Plasticbadger of the moose team keeps us updated with their team blogs:

Keep them coming guys!

Daan

Croatia trophy site:

http://croatia-trophy.org/offroad/

This dutch site gives loads of pictures as well:

http://www.terrein.nu/

For the ones that can read dutch, well worth a read. For the ones that cant, Peter Arends and Paul van der linde are going well with their defender 110, currently in Pos 8. They finished in pos 5 overall last year. For this year they fitted a set of volvo portals, which will be usefull in this wheather. They are the best placed dutch team at the moment, and It is certainly a team to watch, because their car is very much on a budget. That should give a lot of people hope that it is possible for everyone.

Daan

• 3 weeks later...

Way past my bed time.... just been on Utube watching all the vids.... very cool!

On thing that stood out to me tho, was one scene, with a greasy winch climb and what I'm guessing are the trophy guys smashing there way through winching trucks coming very close to the Navy's running rope lol that wouldn't happen here Health n Safety would step in.... is that acceptable over there or was this a case of a few AH's

"Health n Safety" has not made it to the wilds of Croatia.....

I have footage from the prologue where a truck runs wide hits a stake holding the tape up which then really twats a spectator on the head...

We are some times running as fast as we can on public roads (ok not busy ones) that are not closed, at least once or twice I have come head on with a car, van and this year an arctic truck who have no idea they are on part of a race course... all part of the fun... bit like in the baja but more mud than desert....

Paul, we have seen your mixed fortunes of the event, thanks to the excellent filming features. Would you care to tell us more about the exact failure modes you encountered and how they happened?

Daan

In the reg sheet it says no home made cages, how far / true is this? do you have to have a serial number on the cage?

Don't find anything about this on the website, what I find is:

Roll cage is mandatory for all vehicles.

Tyres must be from serial production. No private workshops.

You mentioned a registration form that maybe is removed now that the registration (and race) is over for this year. Do you have a copy of it ?