How much and where from?

i think they're imported into europe by outback inports.... but you might be better off dealing with maxi-drive yourself..... others on the forum have done (white 90 might have) and i think it works out cheaper and less hastle in the long run........

m@tt.

Can somebody please tell me how much and where from for a set of Maxi Drive transferbox ratio gears (43 - 56)

Is their a uk agent?

Cheers

Rog, I looked into this a couple of years ago to solve gearing problems. FYI the cheapest and easiest way of doing this mod is to contact MD direct, source an intermediate gear from Ashcrofts (or a spare t.box :P ) and then wire the money and send the gear. I don't know how much you know about the conversion but, basically, MD machine off the low range gear off the intermedate gear and then bolt on a new, straight cut, gear so you have to send your gear off down under. As its straight cut its a little noisier than standard and you also have to do a little machining to the inside of the t.box case (a web or 2 need removing) and I think either the filler or drain plug need removing but I honestly can't remember which one. In the end, not massivly involved.

There are a fair few ratios too (a 30% reduction, a 40% reduction and a 50% reduction IIRC). Outback Imports are the European, and UK, distributor for MD gear. I've dealt with them before and I wouldn't again! Going direct is far easier although it means a late night (or early morning). If you need the telephone number, let me know; I'm sure I've got it somewhere....

Edited to add, Mal will be faster than Bill as the machining is ONLY done by MD themselves.

Outback Import is stepping up its activity in the UK so it should become much easier to get the Maxi Drive stuff.

Devon have stock, Cheviot have stock.

Outback bring the stuff in to France once a week by airfreight.

Outback UK representative is Chris Armelin.

pm me if you want his number.

FB

PS I don't work for them! I run JacMac!!

Doesn't Ashtrans offer a similar conversion in the UK in addition to their crawler box ?

Bill.

Ashcroft discontinued the transfer case gear sets. They only have the crawler box now.

There was a post on pirate which said there were strength issues, which lead to them being discontinued. Going by the photos, they did appear to have small teeth.

I have the maxidrive 30% reduction gears in my rangie (the other reduction was not available at the time).

They can only be used with the later LT230's, which have taper roller bearings on the intermediate gear shaft.

Ashcroft discontinued the transfer case gear sets. They only have the crawler box now.

There was a post on pirate which said there were strength issues, which lead to them being discontinued. Going by the photos, they did appear to have small teeth.

I heard that it was one guy in the USA that broke his first one and the replacement :blink: However, I know of 2 sets (Tangoman's and Rob Hybrid's) that have been totally reliable and they love them. IIRC they also didn't proove anywhere near as popular as the underdrive so Ashcrofts pulled the plug.

Yes, some of the teeth are very small.

I'm in touch with Chris (Armelin) as we are now distributors of MD as well in Italy,through Outback,amongst others...

When we talked at the Landmania he named D44 and Cheviot etc to be on the list for UK...

I'd really like a set but as additional gears,not as replacement...too many $$ anyway

:(

John,did you test the Rangie?

How long did it take to install a set?

I wouldn't rush to Outback imports

they double the cost

take forever and may even turn up at Billing with:

the wrong rearshafts

no drive members.

Buy direct far cheaper and less problems as Mal will tell you exactly what you need.

BTW it is the drain plug that is moved.

PS Lara on here has fitted them to his 90

Don't know how much they are but could pop out in my lunch hour and ask Mal at Maxi Drive as they are down the road from work. :)

BTW will do you still want that top, forgot about it sorry. They have them in ARB next door so if you want one give me a shout

Around 710 Euros then...

Ta.

IIRC this was the sort of figure I was working to. Add on shipping and you're done. The tax issue may be a little unusual as the intermediate gear (the largest part of the kit) is second hand and was just send to Aus for some work....

...John,did you test the Rangie?

How long did it take to install a set?

I've had the maxi-drive gears in for over 3 years.

I installed the gears before swapping in a D110 TD5 t/case. Rebuilt the LT77 at same time (now changed to R380).

Not to much time to fit gears, not counting the time to remove and strip the t/case, most time is spent grinding away the internal ribs inside the case (to clear larger dia gear) and grinding one side of the shaft for the selector fork.

I didn't have to relocate the drain plug as the t/case that I used had a different drain plug arrangement.