strange heater problem

erebus

Hi there guys, I have a 300 tdi disco 97 which has an issue with the heaters. When i brought the car, there was no heat, and after reading a few posts on here, I have flushed the system both ways and changed the thermostat, I now get hot air as long as i leave the heater on setting 1, if i try any higher fan speed, it goes cold.......... return it to speed 1, i get hot air again, but setting 1 is takes ages to warm up the car (about 30-40 mins) I have bled the system etc etc, removed the viscous fan, but have no idea whats wrong, Its almost as if the heater is cooling the engine too much at higher speed settings. HELP!!!!

sounds like your new thermostat isnt very good. I just had this problem with my volvo. Engine was shown as up to temp on the gauge. I was getting luke warm air on fan setting 1 and 2 and would go cold on 3 and 4. no amount of bleeding would help and i wasnt losing any coolant. New thermostat cured it. I now get boiling hot air coming out the heater :) Its like a sauna. Hopefully its not over heating with the dodgy coolant temp gauge...

Go for a genuine or Wax stat thermostat (OEM was wax stat in my 200tdi anyway...)

Jad

sounds like your new thermostat isnt very good. I just had this problem with my volvo. Engine was shown as up to temp on the gauge. I was getting luke warm air on fan setting 1 and 2 and would go cold on 3 and 4. no amount of bleeding would help and i wasnt losing any coolant. New thermostat cured it. I now get boiling hot air coming out the heater :) Its like a sauna. Hopefully its not over heating with the dodgy coolant temp gauge...

Go for a genuine or Wax stat thermostat (OEM was wax stat in my 200tdi anyway...)

Jad

It was a new thermostat, and had a feeling it is opening too soon, only issue is the water in the coolant header gets quite warm, but never hot hot hot. will try another thermostat and see how it goes, thanks for your reply.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Erebus,

I went through the same pains. Repeated flushing and a thorough bleed did the magic on my 1996 Disco 300 Tdi Auto

This may sound daft, but do you have the hoses at the heater core the right way around?

I had to flush about three times, counter flow, as after the first two flushes, when I ran water the correct way, the core blocked again.

The cause of the blockage was the steel pipe running over the head, it was falling apart inside, previous Indies never bothered to run the engine with the correct coolant mix.

The other culprit may be the thermostat, new is no guarantee that it works correctly.

Strongs, a cold heater is not nice.

Was your new thermostat genuine or OEM?

I chased a similar problem on a 200 Tdi and had discounted the stat as I'd replaced it at the start - but with one from the local motor factors of unknown quality. Replaced it with a genuine one - and it was immediately better!

Si