beefing up salisbury axles

I've got a Detroit fitted in the Salisbury (no pins at all) which seems to be very strong. I had the drive members welded to the half-shafts using Tig welding on the outside only. One side was oil-lubricated anyway as the seal must have gone, and pulling the shafts in and out a few times has allowed oil through to the other side now.

I don't know which seals I have fitted but they do not leak. My Microcat seems to show about four possible part numbers for this seal. Some are in Italics, some have ISO (whatever that means) = 'Y' . Most confusing. The numbers I get are FTC8221, FTC2783, RTC3511 and for the latest VIN nos it is FTC4785. I think the last one is what I have fitted. Who knows?

I notice some put forward the proposition to make sure that the weakest link is the easiest and possibly cheapest part to replace. Seems like a good idea. In that case the easiest and cheapest part is definitely the drive member followed by the propshaft UJ's.

I know one owner of a 2.8 TGV in a manual Disco and he hasn't had any problems, yet that is.

My 130 has Salisbury axles fitted with Quaife diffs and shafts. The next problem is to get the stronger flanges that fit the Quafe shafts.

I bought a set of Ashcrofts flanges...but the splines are slightly different meaning that I couldn't fit them.

S.

Quaife don't have a driveflange that'll fit? I don't know their stuff that well but the LR shafts I've seen always come wit driveflanges.

I have quaffie stuff in my front axle mixed with ashcrfots HD stuff, quiffe is very different and normally not interchangeable flanmge wise

nige

Lets just call it "an ongoing project that I hope to rectify before the first LR flanges sheers off" !