Adding Grooves to BFG KM2 Tires

tuko

My weekend project was to add sipes to my BFG KM2's but with the tire groove machine that I borrowed form the local tire shop, I was burning out the loop section of the blades. So with siping out of the question til I figure out what I was doing wrong I turned around the blade and decided to add some grooves instead.

With all that said, I added a few grooves that I would like some opinions on.

First idea, I grooved the smaller outer lugs like so;

post-194-0-75162600-1386415161_thumb.jpg

Next I grooved the larger lugs:

post-194-0-33689300-1386415212_thumb.jpg

Finally the combination of both:

post-194-0-54378400-1386415240_thumb.jpg

I'm leaning towards the combination of both, but wondering if I should keep it to every second lug on each side or do them all?

Todd.

Firstly I think you got too much time on your hands and not enough breakdowns mate :P

Actually liked the idea and think it would work well but probably better kept to every second lug.

What made you decide to groove them out in the first place if I might be so bold?

Nigel,

I originally wanted to sipe the tires, but couldn't figure out how to get the machine to work without burning out the cutting blades. Obviously doing something wrong, so the easiest thing to do was the additional grooves. I think though that they will be better on the trails in the spring.

Todd.

To the dismay of many, I have cut my krawlers:

post-9137-0-86740700-1386614637_thumb.jpg

And trust me IT DOES WORK!

Very well even, I've cut m,any different tyres through the years, even quite a few motorcycle tyres. There is with mass produced tyres as with everything else mass produced, a compromise. So it is possible to make them better suit your needs.

The problem I had with the Krawler was on muddy surfaces, the lugs were just too big and stood 'on top' of the mud instead of digging in. And not in any scenario I've encountered are they worse now, not a single, even on the road they brake better in the wet.

So for my money you should just cut them all, can't see any harm done in that TBH

Soren,

The thing that I don't like with these KM2's is that they don't have much for lateral grip. I would have preferred to cut the center lugs but I wasn't sure how to attach them. Therefore a few grooves in the outer lugs to gauge opinions.

DD,

I'm impressed with the grooves in the center lugs, you really had at them giving lots of contact area to grip with. How do the tires perform now? BTW I have more tearing with the center lugs on these tires, literally chunks missing!

These KM2's are my play tires which rarely see any tarmac time.

Todd.

Soren,

The thing that I don't like with these KM2's is that they don't have much for lateral grip. I would have preferred to cut the center lugs but I wasn't sure how to attach them. Therefore a few grooves in the outer lugs to gauge opinions.

DD,

I'm impressed with the grooves in the center lugs, you really had at them giving lots of contact area to grip with. How do the tires perform now? BTW I have more tearing with the center lugs on these tires, literally chunks missing!

These KM2's are my play tires which rarely see any tarmac time.

Todd.

I haven't built the buggy to bolt them to yet, so i cannot really comment on there performance.

the main reason i cut the center so heavily is to allow the center of the tread to flex, mine are a bias ply Tyre and with the center of the tread being almost continuous around the Tyre they don't tend to deform and grip steps and ledges as well as they could do, breaking the center blocks up should help in this way.

With your km2's i think if you break up all of your center blocks by cutting them corner to corner it should greatly help there lateral grip it will also help them self clean a lot better