Reversing light electric problem

Hi, small problem with the reversing light on my 2007 Puma 130. It does not work... But with ignition on and with gearbox in reverse there is some current at the lamp socket. My small 12v diagnostic light/pen will light up but compared to the other sockets (tail lights, indicater) it does not light up as bright as the other ones.. All bulbs tried and no one will light up (nothing at all) so guess voltage is to low. Will try to find a voltmeter for correct testing but in the meantime maybe one of the forum members does know the answer to this problem? Cheers, Marco

Checked but bad earth is not the problem, both in socket and via a separate earth on vehicle body I do get the same low glowing of the diagnostic pen. The voltage without running the engine is 11,9 Volt so guess something is wrong with the Amperes, just not enough current flowing to the light the bulb. Next step will be checking at the reverse light switch.. Within 20+ years Landy ownership I've never come accross such an small (frustrating) electric problem..

My first reaction would also have been bad earth.

Now that you have a voltmeter you can check whether the problem is in the earth or feed side. Make up a long lead so that you can measure everything from the battery negative terminal. What are the voltages at each side of the bulb? Any significant voltage at the earth side indicates an earth problem as minimum. Look for connector corrosion.

Unfortunately no bad earth and not corrosion, checked multiple earth options (wire, body etc.) and cleaned socket, checked directly on connector etc. Expect it to be something like bad switch. Need to take out the cubby box..

Not sure if Pumas are the same as 300tdi in this respect but I had the same problem with a 300. Turned out to be the plug and socket connectors on the bulkhead, under the bonnet, just needed a bit of a clean up. If you do have these, might be worth checking before disturbing stuff inside.

I've checked during the weekend, no problem at fuse box so I did take out the cubby box and center panel of the seat box. No problem at reverse light switch connector. Bypassed the reverse light switch and got the light working. So clearly a faulty switch. Have ordered the part here: http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=151127 Thanks for replies.