series 3 anti burst door locks

joe1joe

Series doors typically only have locks on the driver's door and rear door of hard tops. Soft tops have a rear tailgate with no locks, and I wouldn't be surprised if the driver's door had no lock either. The passenger door is only lockable from inside using a knurled knob - it has no external key barrel.

Series doors typically only have locks on the driver's door and rear door of hard tops. Soft tops have a rear tailgate with no locks, and I wouldn't be surprised if the driver's door had no lock either. The passenger door is only lockable from inside using a knurled knob - it has no external key barrel.

All doors on mine have locks with key barrels in them. Have they been retrofitted then? (its a 1976 series 3)

i have a third type of series door lock, they seem to be what i would call "semi anti burst"

or anti burst MK1... they are a spring loaded sliding plate that latches over a "post"

like so:

land-rover.v8.snatch.rh-door-latch-assem

these have barrels on both doors, internal locks too on both doors

IIRC they were used on defender safari doors up till i would guess about 300Tdi maybe 200Tdi era.

All doors on mine have locks with key barrels in them. Have they been retrofitted then? (its a 1976 series 3)

Possibly, by maybe they were factory fitted, especially if they all share the same key. All the SIIs and SIIIs I have seen had a key barrel in the driver's door and back door only. It might be an optional extras issue or specification for different markets.

Door seals? Oooooohhh posh!

Door seals (one piece, too), interior linings, an improved heater, a Hotstart, and twin-loop heated seats. Mmmm. You don't have to suffer in a Series! Actually, I rather like that - I'll have to use it as a signature... :ph34r:

You don't have to suffer in a Series!

you certainly dont!

i absolutely love smugly overtaking poeple whilst sat at 80 70 cruising along on the motorway with the radio perfectly audiable whilst holding a normal level conversation!

Possibly, by maybe they were factory fitted, especially if they all share the same key. All the SIIs and SIIIs I have seen had a key barrel in the driver's door and back door only. It might be an optional extras issue or specification for different markets.

Its a different key for each door which is "interesting" if you'r in a hurry :D

Have tried all sorts of adjustments , I suspect the bulkhead is too far back as when slam the door it is hitting the catch on the flatter section have already took shim out from behind catch , if I put some vaseline on catches works fine but invariably end up with it on me.Might take the grinder to catch on door to reshape.

Have tried all sorts of adjustments , I suspect the bulkhead is too far back as when slam the door it is hitting the catch on the flatter section have already took shim out from behind catch , if I put some vaseline on catches works fine but invariably end up with it on me.Might take the grinder to catch on door to reshape.

You could try moving the door forward first, before you grind the catch.

UNscrew the door bolts a little bit and move the door forward.

G.

Door already as far forward as hinge will allow, whilst out today I had a quick look at door latch end and too me the tongue piece appears to long wonder if it is possible to fit a stop so it is partially lifted /pulled inwards.

If the weathers decent in morning will try some engineers blue to see if I can see the point of contact with the catch.

Had a close look at spare door lock today it has excess play in the spindle that handle turns , when the handle is returned by the spring the outer casing is worn allowing extra movement , door catch sliding section has 3mm + lateral movement so door would fall back away from seals.

Compared this to one currently fitted and it is the same .

Might have to bite the bullet and buy a new anti burst set up for drivers door as a mpore secure option to a replacement early type.