Copping flack from Horsey Type People while laning

ellebarto

I rent a unit on a Farm. Before Xmas, the farmer was telling me about the abuse he received from some horse riders for driving (A Telehandler) on his own land! He pointed out to them that the bridle way they presumably thought they were following was on the other side of the tree line - but they said they always came this way because it was a surfaced track. We speculated about whether they would like cattle grids on the entrance to the track from the bridle way.

Si

Just out of interest how many forums do you make duplicate posts on ?

A quick google for the text you copy across shows:

Lr4x4

Defender2

Landrover Addict

TV4x4

Hull4x4

Awdc.co.uk

NorthEast Laners

Pirate

Nort4x4

LandyZone

Roverlanders.bc.ca

Thelandroverclub.co.uk

New Jersey Land Rovers

Devon4x4

LandRoversOnly.com

Difflock

NorthWest4x4

Mud-club.com

Landowners.co.uk

Landrovernet

4x4uk.org

Leinster4x4.ie

4x4withoutaclub.

Lowrangers.org

4x4pals.org

It's staggering ! :o

I'm happy to share the facts, especially when I've been criticized for presenting a picture people don't like!

Lr4x4

Defender2

Landrover Addict

TV4x4

Hull4x4

Awdc.co.uk

NorthEast Laners

Pirate

Nort4x4

LandyZone

Roverlanders.bc.ca

Thelandroverclub.co.uk

New Jersey Land Rovers

Devon4x4

LandRoversOnly.com

Difflock

NorthWest4x4

Mud-club.com

Landowners.co.uk

Landrovernet

4x4uk.org

Leinster4x4.ie

4x4withoutaclub.

Lowrangers.org

4x4pals.org

I haven't checked all the one's you've listed but its 23 UK based clubs and 7 American one's. The main UK based one I spend most of my time with is Lowrangers. I think they are in Land Rover Monthly's May editions. Its amazing how many there are in the UK and I bet I've only found a few of them!

Lr4x4

Defender2

Landrover Addict

TV4x4

Hull4x4

Awdc.co.uk

NorthEast Laners

Pirate

Nort4x4

LandyZone

Roverlanders.bc.ca

Thelandroverclub.co.uk

New Jersey Land Rovers

Devon4x4

LandRoversOnly.com

Difflock

NorthWest4x4

Mud-club.com

Landowners.co.uk

Landrovernet

4x4uk.org

Leinster4x4.ie

4x4withoutaclub.

Lowrangers.org

4x4pals.org

It is certainly something...

I think that's a bit unfair.

I like to share what I do, I seem to get good feedback in the main about it and I always interact and answer questions about the film, location and cars. I don't just drop on a film and say nothing else. In fact on a number of those forums you've mentioned I have engaged far more if there is something I can usefully add to. Just so happens I haven't really on this forum.

But if we talk about promotion, I see my videos are well viewed on this forum, which is really nice and I enjoy the kudos of that. It also adds value to the forum does it not? It promotes you by appearing high in all the search engine rankings. I'd like to think its a mutually beneficial thing? :i-m_so_happy:

I don't mean to be unfair - just making an observation.

I think you perhaps benefit more from the forum than visa versa. As in the videos are well viewed because this is a popular forum - rather than the forum is popular because of your videos.

But if you want to help you can make a donation to the running costs ?

You get a shiney supporter badge and real kudos then.

lol, OK, fair enough and donation made.

I don't know how much your involved with this forums admin but every view of one of my films from your forum presents a google advert at the top of the thread from which the forum generates revenue. That's all good and I do the same on my own 4x4 blog albeit far more modestly. A forum has to fund itself somehow and although its just pennies, its still worth doing.

Have you seen how many thousands of times my threads have been viewed on this forum?

Feeling a bit targeted if I'm honest. You haven't got a horse have you? :hysterical:

If people are enjoying the odd film of mine and the forum is getting lots of views of them, everyone's a winner?

You still making your films??

Personally - I don't see the problem!

The guy's videos are good fun and his posts do not IMHO constitute spam. The fact that posts are proliferated over several forums, granted it's unusual but I cannot see that it harms LR4x4 or any of the others?

Si

Personally - I don't see the problem!

The guy's videos are good fun and his posts do not IMHO constitute spam. The fact that posts are proliferated over several forums, granted it's unusual but I cannot see that it harms LR4x4 or any of the others?

Si

Well said ! I can't see the problem either !

Ellebarto has got a land rover ,goes greenlaning and makes his films , posts up so people can watch them , we all have a common interest , so what's the problem ?

Anderzander , I haven't noticed you whining or bleating on a mega squirt thread or diff thread when hybrid for hell answers or posts up his windscreen washers which we all know it's what he does to earn a shilling.

Or when simon answers a question about something x eng or rogue vogue puts something about his winch.

There are MANY people on this forum who's living is earned in the land rover / off road world , personally I couldn't give a rats ass if they post up because we all have a common interest and therefore it's relevant.

Rant over ! Apologies to the people I have named but I think Ellebarto is coping undeserved flack !

Crikey !

I don't see it as a problem - don't have a horse either.

Feels a bit spammy and I can't get my head round having the time to be that prolific - but I don't see it as a problem.

If Ellebarto chooses to post up on other forums that's not a crime , he's not hurting anybody , he doesn't run greenlane trips for profit making / business and as I said his threads/films are relevant to the forum .

I'm a member on other forums as are a good many other people on here.

As I said there are MANY people on here who earn a living / run a business involving land rovers/ off roading who post on this forum and nobody says diddly .

I personally don't mind as long as it's relevant to the forum .

Gary

I've never had any issues with the horsey- or hunt-types - being an active member of the local HorseWatch/FarmWatch network helps a lot in this respect.

"Ramblers" are an entirely different matter. They usually don't even know the first-name of the person whose land they're wandering over, nor why the area in question is fenced-off.

Are we done gentlemen?

Think this topic has been 'flogged' enough.

It's not about horses but some of the people that own them, like some land rovers, very eccentric and passionate, ramblers, now that's another matter, there all lovely people as we we'll know from the frequent encounters we have with them!

At least we all love the countryside, are getting out and about in our own way, so let's always try to work together despite the occasional provocation and NIMBY'ism we encounter.

John

I've just read through this and my sympathies to you all. I guess in the UK its a case of limited (green lanes) facilities open to a large population.

In my last Desert Odessy over Oz Julie and I went for four weeks and 12,000 kilometers without coming across a single fellow off road driver.

Example, Coober Pedy to Ilkurluka, 840 kilometres over the Anne Beadell - 7 days in an area larger than France and not coming across a single soul !!

Example, You are not allowed to drive up the Canning Stock Route through the Gibson Desert unless you have

a.) arranged with the local aboriginal community for adequate fuel drops. (Its over 2000 kilometers in length)

b.) have a satellite phone for emergencies.

We in Australia enjoy the the joys of a large vast country, criss crossed with seldom used tracks with a comparative tiny population.

I've just read through this and my sympathies to you all. I guess in the UK its a case of limited (green lanes) facilities open to a large population.

In my last Desert Odessy over Oz Julie and I went for four weeks and 12,000 kilometers without coming across a single fellow off road driver.

Example, Coober Pedy to Ilkurluka, 840 kilometres over the Anne Beadell - 7 days in an area larger than France and not coming across a single soul !!

Example, You are not allowed to drive up the Canning Stock Route through the Gibson Desert unless you have

a.) arranged with the local aboriginal community for adequate fuel drops. (Its over 2000 kilometers in length)

b.) have a satellite phone for emergencies.

We in Australia enjoy the the joys of a large vast country, criss crossed with seldom used tracks with a comparative tiny population.

Its basically as you say down to population density, in Aus there is not a lot of competition for land (once out side urban areas), if you are prepared to travel a bit you can do pretty much anything you like with out upsetting neighbours. Unfortunately in the UK most lanes (and paved public roads) are fairly well used, on a weekend in good weather you would be unlikely to be able to do much laning with out meeting someone.

As with all things there are idiots on both sides, walkers and horse riders who will intentionally cause trouble, and land owners who will block routes, on the other hand there ARE car and bike riders who will drive at excess speed and drive off the route causing damage. A lot of routes are old rights of way, round here often old than white men getting to Aus, with houses near the entrances and exits of the route in some cases, with SOME drivers / riders driving past at full speed it can be dangerous, damaging and just plain annoying for the house owners so it is understandable for them to want action, unfortunately the easiest way to make the problem go away is to get the route closed. Police do have periodic crack downs in some areas to try and cut back the idiots, since lanes are legaly public roads all road laws apply, so charges of reckless or dangerous driving can be applied if the are caught, also with many of these people the vehicles and drivers are often not fully legal either, no insurance results in the vehicle being confiscated over here until you show a full valid set of documents, unfortunately with limited police resources where to put those resources is political and lanes don't neccesarily get to far up that list.