New megasquirt install - starting issue

Yogi

Hope someone can help, just installed MS1 on a 3.5 V8 but the engine wont start. It pops and bangs ocassionally but fails to start.

Been through various checks on the loom and double read the manual, think that the issue might be my cranking speed. The starter only gets up to 130 RPM max, no where near the 300rpm I see in the guide. Can anyone advise what the normal starter cranking speed should be please ? It may be as simple as getting a new starter - I hope ........

Pops and bangs sound like you have a timing issue, check plug leads and triggerwheel positioning.

Cranking on mine os about 150-180 I think depending on cold/hot.

The 300 figure is so that MS knows that anything under this is when it should default to cranking figures rather than using the fuel/spark map.

Thanks for the quick reply, probably rules out the starter then even if its a bit lumpy when it turns over.

I have been trying to load different maps to see if that makes any difference but so far no joy, get the ocassional back fire. How can I further diagnose a timing issue, or is it trial an error looking at the spark settings ?

I have been using this

Spark settings 5 1 14

and also tried the Cranking advance angle at +10, no joy with either :-(

A few more details will help:

Are you using MS&EDIS?

Is this a kit from Nige at Megasquirt-V8 or something else?

If it's from Nige, are you using his default settings? These "other" maps you have, what are they & where did you find them? Are they set up for the same system (MS & EDIS) or not?

If you just keep loading different settings files you could be changing all sorts of things not just the fuel/spark map.

if it's a kit from Nige and you've set everything up right it should start & run fine on Nige's supplied defaults, so if it doesn't there is some OTHER issue than the settings.

As Bowie says, popping & banging & kicking sounds like the ignition - this can be a few silly things; trigger wheel / VR sensor "timing", VR sensor wires swapped, coil pack wires swapped, HT leads in the wrong order are popular mistakes.

Also as Bowie says, the "cranking RPM" is just a number that tells MS what to expect, nothing else. Below 300rpm it goes into "cranking" mode (so cranking settings apply), above that it goes into normal running.

These are my spark settings, should be correct for EDIS, trim angle is whatever you need to get the timing bang on, so your settings look basically correct to me.

spark_settings.png

Its a MS with EDIS and I got it from Nige.

Manged to speak to him today as well and he suggested my starter may not be getting upto speed anyway, might need over 180 RPM to get it all running. Replacement on order, but still lookig forward to see which of the other traps I have may have fallen into :-)

Nige also suggested sticking to his map until I get it running, so will get the starter and see what happens next .............

Cheers

Popping and banging sounds like timing. I had similar issues, and with timing light on was 90 degrees out but it still ran. I had mixed up the coil pack wires matching the numbers to the plugs but these didn't match the diagram. I had convinced myself I had wired it right but 5 mins talking it through with Nige found it.

Thanks all for your comments, I am hoping for a lightbuld soon as well. Starter has arrived, hope to fit it tonight, more double and tripple checking........ stay tuned for the next installment ////////

starter went in and it now turns over fantastically, still not much above 130RPM bust sounds so much better. However it still did not start. A quick call with Nige and he spotted my error.............. Coil pack wires round the wrong way :blush: And then she started - Cheers Nige, knew it would be something simple

Next question, I have a relay board but no Pulse width Meter, the reley behind the fuel pump fuse seems to rattle and buzz at low revs - any reason why ??

Your ECU has PWM Driver it in as a modification.

Have you removed relay number 3 and popped a bridge wire as per instal piccies ?

Glad we got is sorted and you spent the afternoon grinning - go on how many times did you creep up to hit and start it to hear it go Whirwhirwhir...Broooooooom ! :D

Nige

You know me too well already

Must admit to have started it several times and listened to it ROAR LOL,

Time to sort out all the spaghetti and tidy up the loom now its running, so that will be a few evenings this week........

I saw the detail about the PWM modification in the instructions, but left the relay in as I dont have the PWM (3.5 V8), I did take the relay out at one point and it did not seem to make much difference, is it redundant if I do the bridge in any case ?? What is the relay supposed to do if it can be bridged out ?

Will post a photo once I get it back out of the man cave.

Thanks again for all the help

Ah Yes

I am close to a solution for PWM Control on the 3.5 units. Remove the Relay as there is no reason to have it there.

Pioke me in 2 - 3 weeks for the 3.5 PWM Solution, I have tigged up a prototype so nearly there. With a relay in and powered it won't do any dmage but wonder what odd things it might do :lol:

BrrrrrmmmmmmBrmmmm still grinning

The coild wires catch a lot out instructions or not, you defo won't be the last, just glad your grinning that its ROARing :D

Welcome to the world of Megasquirt, have a good look at the tunning libary and the index that has been built up by many here :i-m_so_happy:

Nige

"And in other news..... someone else sodded up the coil pack wiring while installing Megasquirt. He was REALLY grateful to everyone for their suggestions and support on the LR4x4 forum, quoted as saying '.....'"

Actually he wasn't quoted as saying anything ;)

A quick call with Nige and he spotted my error.............. Coil pack wires round the wrong way :blush: And then she started

If only we'd thought of that! :rolleyes:

Glad it's running though.

Bit surprised Nige doesn't jumper out the FIDLE relay on every relay board he supplies, if you don't fit the socket & jumper straight across then people can't muck it up ;)