Morocco, May 2014: passenger seat available

Turbocharger

A small group of us are heading to Morocco for some desert driving, camping in the mountains and generally 'getting out there'. One of the group may have to drop out, which would leave a space for someone to occupy a seat, double-drive a Ninety ... and share the costs, of course.

You will need:

* your freedom from other commitments, outbound on Wed 7th May (Portsmouth) and back on 21st May (Plymouth).

* circa £1k for your share of the costs.

* a sense of humour, a driving licence and a sensible approach to taking a trip with a mixed group of five other people you've probably never met before.

Basic plan is to get the ferry to Bilbao, drive Spain in a day, overnight near Gibraltar and then get the boat to Tangier, heading into the hills. Depending on progress, we'd like to get as far as Mhamid, south of Zagora, mostly camping rough to keep the costs down. We have two Tdi Ninetys and a Nissan Patrol in the group.

This place is offered principally to share costs since one person has dropped out, rather than for a participant with their own car - we don't need another vehicle in the group (though if you'd like to tag along in another car, we can discuss that separately...). Volunteers or options here or by PM to me please.

What an offer for someone. It was about 5 years ago that I took up a similar offer on here to go on a trip to Portugal, and that turned into the beginnings of a great series of adventures with a great group of blokes. If anyone is thinking this might be a trip they would like to do but are unsure about the thought of going with strangers then get on and do it.

Just a coment Turbo but how comprehensive is your first aid Kit?

We all carry enough spares for our truck but what about the passengers? On a recent trip over the Great Victoria Desert here in Oz I had an argument with a dodgy trolly jack and split my left hand right open between the little and ring finger revealing both knuckle bones (the open wound was 80mm long by 10mm deep).

Our first aid kit fortunatly included a packet of No.4 needles and nylon don-disolvable sutures (obtainable from EBay) so I was able, once Julie had irrigated the wound, to stitch it up - great fun and lucky I'm right handed ^_^ . Include also in your kit some ground salt to make up at least a litre of saline water to irrigate and clean out any wound to reduce the chance of infection, you can make this up on the road with 1/2 a table spoon of the ground salt with a litre of water boiled for 3 minutes and then allowed to cool down, Julie did this and applied it as a jet through a steralised plastic coke bottle with a hole punched in the cap,saline water is very handy to wash dust out of your eyes as well as washing dirt out of open wounds. I also carry 3 morphine styrettes, unobtainable unless you have a mate in the army (standard issue to soldiers in the field - from who I obtained mine from) if you can get some they are invaluble if a wound is really bad and the pain beyond normal oral pain killers.

I guess I was lucky in that while no tendons were cut or bones broken - and I now have full use of the hand - the nerve to that area of my hand and the left side of my ring finger is dead, consequently I felt no pain while I was sewing up the wound.

Be prepared for the worst and it will seldom happen, be unpreparred and look out, the desert can bite you quite badly.