Gear Levers

Asinine questions coming up:

I've been waiting to buy an x-defend gear stick lock for ages - and in the absence of Foundry getting any in I jumped at the chance to get one 2nd hand.

Doing that meant I didn't realise I was missing the security nuts and the instructions. Getting it to fit has been an arse - the angle seems wrong in that when the main gear lever is pushed forward the tube cutouts really gouge into it.

Anyhow what's happened is that the transfer nob lever just come off under that tension. It's left what must be an insert on the shaft.

So three questions if I may :

Can anyone recommend a glue to use to fix it back on ?

Does the fact that the knob can be simply prised off by breaking the adhesive bond not make it useless ?

Anyone any ideas as to why the angle seems so wrong ? I wouldn't have though moving the main lever on its spline would alter the angle at all.

Do you have the right one for your gearbox ?

It should be straight for your gearbox.

Are you putting the box in fifth first ?

Have you removed the plastic stud that controls the movement of the two halves. If not, carefully remove it, put the two parts in place and Refit the stud in the hole that best suits.

HTH

Mo

Probably worth a look at some instructions! I remember the set up of the plastic peg being particularly important.

As for the transfer lever coming off - part of the kit is a nut to stop this happening - as you say, pretty useless otherwise.

There's also another security nut on the main gearstick

Thank you everyone.

It is definitely the R380 item. I have been putting it in 5th and I did remove the stud.

I'll work through the instructions and see what happens.

The gear knob coming off the (presumably) threaded insert has kind of put a spanner in the whole thing though. I need to bond that back on to be any use first.

The gear stick is mounted on a short splined shaft and can be fitted at a variety of angles. The X-Defend gearstick lock works best in the 'standard' orientation, though I know that people often have their gearsticks at different angles for one reason or another. It is worth noting that the original kit also comes with a security nut for the bottom of the gearstick, so this needs to be born in mind.

HTH

Chris

Thank you !

All of my set up is in the standard position - so to get a fit will require deviating from that.

I'll pop a picture up or how it's pulled the knob off so you can see what I mean about needing to bond it back on and my concern about the adhesive strength of that being the limiting factor.

I really appreciate all the help here. Thank you.

A new transfer knob is only a few quid Stephen, why muck about with the old.

Mo

I may end up doing that Mo - but the reason I'm not jumping to it is twofold: the transfer know I have is pristine and has separated from an insert that is threaded and screws onto the shaft. So my concern is that if that call be pulled out of this one it perhaps can on any replacement ? and if thats the case a lock nut is pointless and I need to look into strong glues.

I can't speak for the transfer box knob, but the main knob can be araldited back onto its mount which is left on the stick when it drops off - I guess the transfer box is similar. Thats worked for me for about 3 years now,

Araldilte sounds like a good option then - thanks.

I'll get some pictures and post them up - at the moment I'm considering enlarging the slot on one side of the tube that fits onto the gear lever so it more closely matches the angle the gear lever sits at.

I may end up doing that Mo - but the reason I'm not jumping to it is twofold: the transfer know I have is pristine and has separated from an insert that is threaded and screws onto the shaft. So my concern is that if that call be pulled out of this one it perhaps can on any replacement ? and if thats the case a lock nut is pointless and I need to look into strong glues.

When you buy the lock new it comes with two nuts, one which is a security nut is fitted in place of the nut holding the main gear lever on and the other is just a thin plain nut which fits under the transfer box knob. The thin nut that you put under the knob removes any strain on the knob and also stop the lock coming off.

So you could stick the knob on with bluetac and it would make no difference :)