got a head gasket to do..... 4.0 p38.

qwakers

couple of questions about the P38 i just bought

its pressurising the coolant after 5 miles or so

water out of the exhaust when hot

Head gasket im assuming?

anywho, this gasket set

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-DISCOVERY-MG-3-9-4-0-4-6-V8-HEAD-GASKET-SET-/130283107516?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e557a74bc

is it any good?

ta muchly

You don't need most of that set really, so paying for more than you need.

I would buy separately the valley, head gaskets and valley seals. Buy the composite type of exhaust manifold gasket and you will have much better luck getting them to seal: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-Discovery-Range-Rover-V8-Exhaust-Manifold-Gasket-Set-8-ERC3606-/360825748461?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5402e3fbed

Rocker gaskets are rubber and generally in very good nick so no need to replace.

V8Tuner.co.uk should be able to sort you out, he supplies quality gaskets for sure (e.g. Elring for head)

a previous owner has already had a go at this and i have one BIG headache. the sob has rounded off a head bolt on the rh cyl head.

so questions.

1, are the heads 'handed' or can i buy a head without knowing if its from the right side or the left?

2, any ideas of how to get this apart. trying to drill it atm but may give up and go at it with the gas axe. any better ideas?

3, what engines have compatible heads? (just in case)

thanks

They are not handed any any 10 bolt head will be fine. DO NOT try to use a 14 bolt head because the compression ratio will be different.

I do believe that you will need new head bolts as they are SUPPOSED to be renewed.

Try drilling the head off the bolt if you can, then when the head is off undo it with Mole grips ?

SUCCESS.

had a 90* chuck on my drill (went through 3 of them actually, dont buy the one in screwfix, the gearbox is plastic) and managed to drill up to 9.5mm. then i undid the head bolts that would undo and got brutal with it, levering the head off the block till the bolt snapped.... which it did quite easily.

now ive just got to have the heads pressure tested, skimmed and ported and polished (why not whilst theyre off) and stick it all back together

and the reason for the blown head gasket?

afore mentioned numpty previous mechanic decided to torque it down when one of the dowells wasnt aligned with the hole in the head. so that cyl head wasnt sitting square. idiot.

got brutal with it, levering the head off the block till the bolt snapped....

Is that not likely to damage the block too? :blink:

Another vote for V8Tuner here, also ARP head studs are a nice touch if you're keeping it, and not too spendy compared to a new set of gen parts head bolts.

got the heads back today... 3 hours after i dropped them off. good of the guys at paul inch engine services to do a rush job like that. means i can put it together this weekend rather than next week after work.

http://www.paulinch.co.uk/

well recommended.

pressure tested and skimmed. all ok.

will start putting it back together after work tomorrow.

i really need to stop working a 6 day week... :angry2:

to check if you got the firing order right the rail the coils are bolted to is numbered, make sure you got the right number corresponding to the cylinder.

The engine cylinder numbering is correct, just match the numbers on the coil bracket, then the firing order is sorted.