80-series axles onto RRC

I can't use stock LR parts due to the position of the Toyota steering bar so I made the cut and shut arms. They broke so I am making these as a replacement. As the front prop has always rubbed slightly on the gearbox cross member on front droop I though I would be cleaver at the same time and slightly raise the diff flange to steal a bit more clearance. I figured as I never go fast I'd get away with how it would effect the steering. However I think I've gone too high. I recon I'm going to move one of the bushes to lower it back down. Just wondered if anyone had an opinion, I don't know a great deal about steering / prop angles etc.

Sorry, had misread your last post.

I wouldn't be too worried about the angle, some diffs run at what you would think are really silly angles. Should have good self-centering though.... will see what others think :)

Good spot re the out riggers, I went thick at that end so that there was a bit of meat to weld to around the pin. I think as the body is connected to the roll cage which is connected to the chassis I will just trim the outrigger.

I realised the top flange was fouling the axle bracket so I cut that back slightly (if was welded where my fingers pointing) and the angles look better now.

20150709_184723_zpsph29ncj4.jpg

Ok so I took a lump of metal and set it vertical with an angle finder then with a 90 degree angle measured best I could to the middle of the top swivel housing, middle of the bottom swivel housing, marked where the square was at both places on the vertical bit of metal and measured that then used a bit of maths to calculate that the top swivel is behind the bottom swivel (ie leaning back) by about 5 degrees.

Problem is I don't know what's good and bad!

Ok so I took a lump of metal and set it vertical with an angle finder then with a 90 degree angle measured best I could to the middle of the top swivel housing, middle of the bottom swivel housing, marked where the square was at both places on the vertical bit of metal and measured that then used a bit of maths to calculate that the top swivel is behind the bottom swivel (ie leaning back) by about 5 degrees.

Problem is I don't know what's good and bad!

I think that will work fine.

Daan

Excellent. :D Let's get it finished then!

First is all welded up and I've cleaned and bent at the parts for the second. My welder seemed as if it was losing power part way through the first, must have exceeded it's duty cycle. Guess I'll either have to take more breaks or try get on the bigger welder at work ;)

• 2 weeks later...