my 200 project

alland

Hi guys ive bought full sills for my 5 door disco and i plan to replace full inner outer sills and rear crossmember but i had a brain wave , what if i spot weld the inner to outer sill and have all three panels galved ,rear crossmember,and both sills complete then just grind off galv where im going to spot weld to ,what you think ... also im going down the route of a complete easy on panels full new bay section and galving it as it will be bolt on as im keeping disco well ill never get the money back plus i do love the 200 ,my missus says its a f in tractor lol

Think the Froggats ones bolt on, do a search for froggats easy on panels.

Have a look in the members vehicles section for my project rusty and that will give you a good idea of what to expect when you start cutting!

K reg would make your truck 1993ish, have you still got the fusible linksunder the bonnet?

I completely restored my K reg (July 1992) 3 door 200Tdi a while back. I didn't need to renew the lower door post sections and found that I couldn't insert the assembled inner & outer sills. I had to feed the new outer in from the front (front axle and suspension was already out. I don't think fitting the sills is practical with the axle in place) and then weld the inner later. If you cut off the bottoms of the door pillars you may get the assembly in but there is still quite a lot of welding required at the front and rear ends of the sills and

you may find you'll lose a lot of galvanised surface. You'll also need to work out how much before you fit each sill because access to

remove the galvanising locally will be poor! I would have a good look at the surrounding bodywork and see how much steel, other than the

sills, you need to replace. For my vehicle there was a lot, front and back, and any benefit gained from galvanizing the sills would be

small in comparison with the structure I had to weld and paint anyway. I would spend the money on a good quality cavity rust-proofer after using a weldable zinc coating on the inaccessible surfaces. I used Dynatrol 50 in all the cavities.

Think the Froggats ones bolt on, do a search for froggats easy on panels.

Have a look in the members vehicles section for my project rusty and that will give you a good idea of what to expect when you start cutting!

K reg would make your truck 1993ish, have you still got the fusible linksunder the bonnet?

Yours wasn't rusty , when compared with mine!!!!! You could have got away with a wee bit of filler......

Got my coat and leaving as I speak

Thanks jeff .. what happened did it catch fire ,a mare of mine was welding the floor in his beetle and i cought fire so with his welding gloves tried putting it out and all i could see was his both gloves on fire waving his arms about we got it out and i was pi ssing myself laughing at the sight of him waving his goves about on fire :hysterical:

Thanks jeff .. what happened did it catch fire ,a mare of mine was welding the floor in his beetle and i cought fire so with his welding gloves tried putting it out and all i could see was his both gloves on fire waving his arms about we got it out and i was pi ssing myself laughing at the sight of him waving his goves about on fire :hysterical:

Too many bloody times did it catch fire.... There is so much noise insulation and seam sealer scattered (randomly it seems) around the bulkhead of Discos, any welding=minor conflagration see my thread on rebuilding Jordan and it will give you an idea of just how badly these bloody things rust, think 1970's Alfa/Lancia/Fiat/Vauxhall!

Hi jeff just read you rebuilding jordan wow that was some work .my my the guy you bought that off sounds like the lovely guy i bought mine off ,the guy i bought mine off said oh its an absolutley immac for one of these , ha ha and i bought mine in the dark went knocking ect, oh well i contacted the guy that last mot ed it and asked is your name stevie wonder because these sills and rear crossmember are rotten and he passed it im more peeved at the lying xxx that i got it off ,more to my missus annoyance ,ive built a series 2a from ground up with galv chassis a few nice defenders a couple of discos so i should of known better lol ill start soon but its raining every day ...

Hi jeff just read you rebuilding jordan wow that was some work .my my the guy you bought that off sounds like the lovely guy i bought mine off ,the guy i bought mine off said oh its an absolutley immac for one of these , ha ha and i bought mine in the dark went knocking ect, oh well i contacted the guy that last mot ed it and asked is your name stevie wonder because these sills and rear crossmember are rotten and he passed it im more peeved at the lying xxx that i got it off ,more to my missus annoyance ,ive built a series 2a from ground up with galv chassis a few nice defenders a couple of discos so i should of known better lol ill start soon but its raining every day ...

Sadly the owner prior to me was comprehensively ripped off (with carborundum paster in the vaseline, if you get my drift) by the lone ranger and tonto body shop. Trouble is for expensive vehicles (when new) they were very badly put together, clearly designed by accountants.

Still, it kept me , more or less, out of mischief for a while. To the tune that I'm currently doing some delicate negotiations to buy another....

Really must get a psyche evaluation.

well tbh jeff ive found a 1995 plumb colour v8 auto that is vertually mint was tempted to break mine and put 200 in it but its been standing a while but no im not going to bother ill do mine properly i think i do like the quirkyness of the 200 plus mine is very striaight

ive just noticed today as its now on level ground the back of disco is lower than the front for sone reason and ive fitted standard uprated springs and gas shocks. contacted paddock and its all they do so im sending them back as its 0ver 1 and a half inches more on the front ive bought a 2 ""lift kit so well see anyone else had this ?

Depends on the brand, heard some real horror stories about all the cheapies, OME and LR genuine are the way to go, or get some bespoke one off sets made :ph34r:

I got a mate here who has had the springs supplied tested and they all have different spring rates from what he says same length but under load some squash up more than others.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys been v busy but does not seem that ive got much done ,could be getting older ,lol or poss all the vehicles ive built .
Ive done wheel bearings all round ,timken ones,brakes ,discs pads ,serviced new blue polybushes ,new suspension, bull bar,and ive jet washed it all to see what ive got ,the chassis is vv good so ,i bought fertan ,horrible stuff ,and its turned out its rubbish,so i steam cleaned it all off ive bought alot of red oxide and got silver hammerite for axles but what can i use on chassis as the back end has a bit of surface rust and i dont want stuff reacting ,but want it to sort of last . any ideas pics to follow :i-m_so_happy:
Kyo2n0J.jpg

PNvJu49.jpg

KGkTIdu.jpg

hE5khAZ.jpg

A3goX66.jpg

ceJN1vv.jpg

Z60LwVB.jpg

v6huicP.jpg

N1K5msQ.jpg

help guys ive a new rear crossmember and im going to put new boot floor in as its been done but not v well so what is the panel in front of rear crossmember i e one with clips on for panel to screw into by door rubber that joins boot floor can you still get it ? thanks

Thanks nigel ive bought the three floor supports boot floor and crossmember panel and bought the two outer boot panels so as well as crossmember it ll be like new the backend anyway lol and got full inner outer sills so got lots to do this month and im well skint now afraid to add it all up ,

I wounder if anyone can help me on here ,Ithink that the injector pump has been messed with and not marked and ive bought a full size intercooler but ,does anyone have the factory settings for a 200 tdi as i did adjustments and it was not good it just smoked lots more no extra power really , and you can tell it was tampered with ive adjusted others and beenfine thx

• 4 weeks later...

They all look so familiar :o

Been doing another one for a mate, sills and door post bottoms, forgot how slow going it can be when you are seam welding in plates and cutting out the rot.

Good work, do your doors still fit? Didn't notice any bracing and just wondering how they are for fitting now?

hi nige yes ive temp fitted the door and it shuts ok its when i get to welding it all back ill take both doors off and mesure it up right .im in a bit of a pickle as to know what to do with bays cut them out altogether and buy full ones or repair them ill never sell the truck as it owes me too much now but need to have a think and of course talk to the boss my misuss :ph34r: