2 Cylinder MegaJolt

garrycol

Sorry - not Landrover related but this seems to be the best place to get information on MegaJolt etc.

The simple question is: Can you get a Megajolt kit suitable for 2 cylinder 4 stroke engines?

I have a Haflinger that is fitted with a 123 electronic ignition system that used the old dizzy drive as a crankshaft position sensor but it is providing too much advance to the engine - 47BTDC at 3500rpm when it should be about 30BTDC at those revs. It is just too hard to sort so I am thinking of getting rid of it and going back to the standard dizzy or if available putting a MegaJolt on it.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Garry

Megajolt is used to control a Ford EDIS system which comes in 4, 6 or 8 cylinder varients, however for a 4 cyliner engine it only has 2 coils as it uses waisted spark. This means that in thereoy it may work but the timing would be 1in 4 not 1 in 2 spacing? The waisted spark would allow you to use the second spark to fire the other cylinder?

You could try thr Megajolt forum to see what has been achieved before?

Marc.

If you use MS with direct coil drive, you can run 1-12 cyls.

Sorry - what is a direct coil drive?? I really do not know much about this - searches just provide a lot of confusion - it a shame there are not dealers around the world where you can go and discuss requirements face to face.

Marc when you say MegaJolt Forum - where exactly do you mean - I googled it and came up with about 10 different places.

Like wise I have sent a Rover V8 Mega Squirt query to MegaSquirt but I have had no response - it seems there is a lot of information out there but at the same time it is hard to get accurate information.

Thanks

Garry

Have you sent your Rover V8 query to Nige at Megasquirt-V8 or somewhere else?

The "problem" with megasquirt/jolt is that it's a DIY / experimental kinda thing designed to be tinkered with, you can make it do almost anything if you learn how it works.

A Megasquirt-1 Version 3 ECU with MS'n'S-Extra firmware would run a two-cylinder engine with a wasted-spark coil pack - there's several ways of doing it, including:

• ECU drives wasted-spark coil directly with its internal transistor (Q16)
  • ECU controls coils with built in drivers using low-current trigger signal
  • ECU drives a single coil directly, distributor remains to distribute the sparks

There's various ways of sensing the crank position/rpm too, depending on what works with the mechanical layout. A trigger wheel & VR sensor is a decent option.

Have you sent your Rover V8 query to Nige at Megasquirt-V8 or somewhere else?

The "problem" with megasquirt/jolt is that it's a DIY / experimental kinda thing designed to be tinkered with, you can make it do almost anything if you learn how it works.

Yes messages to Megasquirt V8 go unanswered.

If megasquirt is experimental I think I will look elsewhere as I do not want something that is experiential and would prefer something off the shelf. Likewise the prices listed on the mega website seem quite high for something experimental.

thanks

Megasquirt and Megajolt are like open source software it starts from an idea and an initial design then forum members play with it and make it do more stuff.

Megasquirt is not professional like Weber or possibly Emerald ECUs (though Emerald looks quite similar to MS to me) as there is no support except by forum but it is used to manage high power racing engines so it works very well, but you kinda have to have it as a hobby to do unusual stuff.