Winter tyre sizes for 7 x 16 steel wheels

We have just bought a 95 Defender 300 high cap.. I would like to have a separate set of steel wheels with winter tyres. The wheel size is 7 x 16, can someone suggest a good size of tyre to fit? I assume the extra width will help with roadholding on ice? Thanks

265 70 16 will be a little small, you could go 265 75 16 however if it is for snow a 235 or 255 is prefferable IMHO ( the 255 85 gives another ~1/2" under the diffs which is always handy in snow.)

235 85 and 265 75 are about the same height 32" and 255 85 and 285 75 are about the same height 33"

Unless you go mega wide in my experience narrower tyres are better in snow.

Will.

If you are going for a true "winter" tyre eg hi silica , then the width thing is not such a factor , as you will be relying on adhesion rather than trying to dig down to get traction . The old view was that you fitted a narrower tyre for snow to bite down , but these new "sticky" tyres have changed that . If its deep snow then you can always carry chains. Personally I dont see the value in snow tyres on a landrover , they will be relatively shallow tread when compared with a MT , and I have always managed perfectly OK in snowy conditions , even when pushing a snow plough with BFG MT . HTSH

ps you will probably need to stay with a low profile eg 70 series to get a true "winter" tyre.

I'm not in the UK. I need winter tyres by law and the bias is for day to day road use taking my son to and from school, 10Km of mountain roads each way. Whilst my drive is 3Km of very poor road surface, and the Defender was bought for 'farm' use, right now I need a safe drive on slippery winter roads and help picking the best Winter tyre size for my 7x16s.

You don't want to live in Italy then. Ask 5 people the same question, people supposedly in authority, and you will get 5 different answers.

Between November and April where I am at the moment, snow tyres or chains carried. I'm not too concerned about snow, it's everyday black ice I'd like to improve my odds with.

I run 265/75/16 BFG MTs on my stage 1 v8 which has discovery steel rims. They measure 7" wide and the 265s are fine in mud, well behaved on wet Tarmac and icy mountain roads. I can't comment on how much the term 'icy road' differs between my country (NZ) and yours but they're pretty good on the ski field roads here, however they are a bit chewed after a seasons worth of trips up and down the mountain. If you can get a tyre such as a Blizztrak which I think is a Goodyear...? It might be a Dunlop. They are a good reputeable tyre.

Josh

BFG Muds are not a great tyre for icy roads, although they don't do bad in deep snow. However I have found that the close tread of the regular Pirelli Scorpion on my Rangey are much surer footed on icy roads than the MTs on my Ninety.

The OP is asking about road tyres suited for low temperature use. These are a legal requirement in some countries during winter months.

As we are talking about a 110, I would stay with the standard range of tyre size, probably 235/85R16 in this case. These are commonly fitted to 7x16 rims by the aftermarket tyre companies.

265/70R16 is marginally smaller diameter than a 235/85R16, but I am sure it will be absolutely fine for the intended use.

As for rim size, what you have will be fine. 7x16 is a standard LR size if you have alloys. They just have less offset than the aftermarket steel rims.

I'm in Switzerland and while it is not a federal law it is written in to your insurance policy that between November and the end of March your tyres must be suitable for the conditions or your policy is void. Its one of the first things they check for in the case of an accident. Note that this is not just a matter of grip for traction but also stopping distances which are affected by compound which is where they get you for thinking mud tyres are just fine. A lot of people just run all seasons with a snowflake in the lower elevations down by the lakes but as soon as you hit the mountains you want snows.

I run 235/85/R16 Nokian Hakkapelitias (SP?) on wolf steelies on my 110 and they do very well indeed in everything from icy roads, dry powder and even the nasty slushy stuff left after the infernal plow with the salt has been through. They are not cheap but I'm on my third winter with them and I expect to get another two or three before changing so spread over the years the price doesn't hurt too badly.

Thanks all. I saw the Nokian Hakkapelitias but they cost 250% more than the Grabber Snow that I bought locally.

This is my first experience of the Defender and my main problem with the ice and snow we have at the moment is that the 110 inspires too much confidence and I get carried away where the roads haven't been cleared yet.

It looks as if you've already made a commitment, but FWIW, Muddy (post #6) has it about right: "Unless you go mega wide in my experience narrower tyres are better in snow." This link gives good guidance on rim and tyre size options and the effect on speedo accuracy:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

On my 110 CSW I run Michelin Alpina 205/80R16 on standard LR rims (5.5x16) in winter and General Grabber AT2 265/75R16 on 7"x16 rims in summer. The AT2 is also a winter/snow tyre with sipes, and bearing the mountain and snowflake symbol, but the extra width makes it far less effective than the Michelins.

You might well ask why I'm using winter tyres in summer, when temperatures here can be +30Deg C. With the very changeable weather and high mountain passes a regular driving experience (Kootenay Pass is >5,800ft) you never know when you'll meet snow or temperatures will be below zero. I've had snow as late as June and as early as August. As a number of posters have mentioned, it's the "stickiness" of winter tyre compounds that gives them a big safety benefit.

Mike