Steering Problems

neil3728

I have a strange problem with the steering on my 1995 Disco 1. There is a lot of play in the steering before it wants to turn left, but nothing turning right.

With the steering wheel in the center the car tracks fine, no vibrations, but to make the car go left I need to move the wheel, about 45 degrees before the car starts to move. It is fine turning right, very little steering input is needed,

I don't drive the car all that much so its difficult to work out just how long the problem has been there.

I fitted a recon steering box, last summer so i hope its not that. Could it be anything o do with the damper.

It'll be apparent if you check each component systematically with someone else rocking the steering wheel. It won't be the damper. Look for worn rod ends, worn UJs on the link between the steering column and the PAS box and for play between the PAS box output shaft and the arm fixed to it - the latter is a prime candidate because recon boxes often have painted shfats, and as the paint wears off the splines, it creates play on the arm. Removing the arm and thoroughly cleaning the splined shaft with a wire bush before refitting (with a little grease on the splines) works wonders. Hopefully, you may have caught it before any damage to the splines has occurred.