300tdi Clutch

Boydie

Okay the ZF4HP22 is out and on the floor ready to sell on to some lucky buyer and the rebuilt R380 is in and fitted, and with the connection block from a V8 R380 piped up to the original ZF4HP22 oil cooler, next to be installed is the clutch master cylinder to slave cylinder hydraulic pipework.

I have two sets of pipes available to me, one pipe will go directly from the master cylinder to the slave, the second one has a "dampener" ?? fitted to it, - I'm told this was only fitted to the 300TDi and this little device bolts onto the face of the peddle box next to the master cylinder - my question without notice which one should I use?

Stevie, from my version of RAVE it would seem that is correct, the thing is does it help or hinder ? I'm tempted to fit it but I'd like some opinion of those who have one fitted.

Bleeding the system is not a problem as I by past experience of clutches and brakes I "pressure bleed" from the slaveoir brake cylinder to the master by connecting a hand pump full of hydraulic fluid to the bleed nipple on the slave and loosen the pipe union on the master cylinder and pump until fluid is flowing freely, it's a messy method but reliable and it cuts out having to have a second person pump the peddle. It helps when adopting this method that the air in the system wants to rise to the uppermost part of the system anyway (normally the master cylinder) I have a transmission oil pump set aside in my shed just for this purpose, it holds about a litre of fluid which is more than enough for any brake or clutch system. It takes me about an hour tops to do a complete fluid change on the brackes.

The damper is in the clutch system to, as the name suggests, damp any potential vibrations/oscillations from the clutch pedal. It's personal preference if you want to fit it. Quite a few VW/Audi group cars have them fitted these days due to concerns raised by owners over pedal vibrations when the clutch pedal was depressed.

Problem solved,

--- good mate who owns the wrecking yard where I'm doing the conversion gave me the wrong master cylinder (it's off a V8 !!) so the dampener wouldnt fit anyway and I had to re-double flare the hydraulic line to the slave with a long thread nut. It was very easy to bleed, in no time I had a full clutch peddle and all the grears worked :D ran the engine for about 15 minutes sans prop shafts to get the oil circulating through the oil cooler and topped it up again (boy that cooler and pipework holds about a litre of oil!!) and fitted the shafts, now to fix up the console and away we go.