Spray on soundproofing?

Turbocharger

What have you got, what have you used?

I understand that soundproofing needs to do three things: separate sources of noise, reduce transmission and add damping. The latter two add weight too, which isn't ideal but generally can't be avoided.

I've just used some cheap underseal to coat the inside of a Defender door skin, but the solvent had evaporated as it dried to leave a lightweight coating which doesn't damp vibration as well as I'd hoped. I'd really like something which will foam up as it's applied for maximum isolation.

I want to coat the inside of the doorskins, the front arch liners and the underside of the rear wheelboxes. Product recommendations well received!

Yeah i'm looking for something like this too. Searching for CRC it seems to be a NZ thing, dont see any Euro suppliers.

I'd be interested in alternatives - like Turbo, I need high-build sound deadening, rust-proofing & protection.

I am going for dynamatt heavy duty, bit expensive, but I will do the the complete inside and I mean inside. Dash remove and go crazy, roof, door skins, floor, fire wall.

Did the same to a Defender 2012 and if I blind fold you and drive around with you in the back you would think it is a Disco4.

The aircon is even better because of the isolation.

I've used HB Body Stone Chip on the inner wheel arches and the tub floor on my 110 and have been please with the results. Leaves a fairly thick coat when dry, damps down the vibrations well, and dries hard so you can paint over it if required.

I didn't mask off the the bottom of the tub :ph34r: when I sprayed the colour on and the finish is quite good where I have sprayed over the stone ship.

You can get it on ebay £30 for 6x1 litre cans. Just make sure not to get the textured, unless that is what you want. Also comes it white.

There used to be a product called 'damplifier' which was a spray on equivalent to dynanat, doesn't seem to be available now though...

I used some of the Mass Loaded Vinyl from a car acoustics place, along with 3M and 'tumble drier fluff' noise absorbent stuff on my Subaru. It's gone a long way to deadening the panels, and was a lot lot cheaper than dynamat or the noisekiller equivalent. It helped a lot with noise, bit I have had some issues with it coming unstuck from the door skins and sticking to the windows when they are wound down, which has been rather annoying! Probably my dodgy installation though...

One thing to bear in mind - something like dynamat doesn't necessarily make anything quieter - but it will stop panels rattling and resonating. One something like a defender which is made out of very thin metal it's going to help quite a bit, but to get truly quiet you are going to need a combination of something to deaden the panels, then something to absorb any sound (fluffy) and then something to reflect the remaining sound back into the fluffy layer, like mass loaded vinyl...

Stating the obvious but.. avoid anything that can hold water. That includes Tetra seal stuff that blisters leaving voids behind.

If you are spraying it on make sure you prep the surface very well and if possible wind up the temp of the spray booth as much as you can stand.

I'll have a look in the lockup when I next go that way. I've a tin of something horrific that my or may not be sprayable. It's an industrial sound deadening goo that a mate in the industry (accoustic engineering) liberated for me. Come to think about it, I'll text said accoustic nerd, and ask him if he can reccomend anything.